Getting started with 3-D Printing

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:37 pm
mundmc offline

Re: Getting started with 3-D Printing

My Creality CR10S pro v2 arrived 2 days ago, we left for vacation 1 day ago. I appreciate the recs on Fusion 360, cura/ octoprint!

I am really jazzed about making more HA things that manipulate the physical environment.

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 pm
durosity offline

mundmc wrote:
My Creality CR10S pro v2 arrived 2 days ago, we left for vacation 1 day ago. I appreciate the recs on Fusion 360, cura/ octoprint!

Hey who wants a 3D printer for the cost of some bolt cutters?

Excited to see what you do with it.. I’m waiting until 3d printers can print 3D printers.. then I shall make a fleet of .. things.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:28 pm
jblackburn offline

I have also a Prusa MK3S and for the price, this is the best! Software and hardware are well supported! I don't have time to debug and tune all parameters. I design (with CREO), I slice with PrusaSlicer and print. Almost 100% of success....

The only drawback is the SD card if you want to print offline. But, since I've discoved Octoprint, everything is nicer! :D

PS: They have sold 60k units last year, so... :shock:

Thanks!

Joël

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:11 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I got a big toolbox so I could clear off my workbench. I’ve got the Ender 3 Pro set up now. Still doing mods and such. Got a led light coming so I can get rid of the clamp light.

A lot of fun so far.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Here is the enclosure that I built (dropped quality to post it, hopefully pictures aren't too grainy)... it has worked out really well for me. Some of the cool features in case it could inspire anyone else...

• Consists of 2x Ikea Lack tables stacked on top of each other with all other parts being 3D printed on the printer itself (so, cheap!)
  • Thin Plexiglas panels to hold in heat for printing with certain materials (I leave them open when printing PLA)
  • Moved the power supply and LCD controller outside the enclosure
  • Added cheap web camera mounted to the Z-Axis
  • Mounted Raspberry Pi running Octopi underneath the table
  • Top panel has a internal cutout to ensure plenty of room for the multi-material setup and feeder tube
  • Dimmable LED strip lighting along the top cutout
  • Top hinges open (all hinges and catches and horizontal rails were 3D printed)
  • Humidity box on the 5th spool feed to allow printing of water soluble support materials
  • All on a UPS unit to avoid any short power glitches
I do want to do some type of pull-out drawer underneath the table (attached to the legs, not the underside directly... not enough room) for acetone, isopropyl alcohol, rags, etc.
3D Print Enclosure.jpg
3D Print Enclosure.jpg (164.27 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

3D Print Enclosure II.jpg
3D Print Enclosure II.jpg (213.25 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18 am
DaveL17 offline

Wow, that came out really nice. Great job!

I built my first network rack out of Lack tables--they're the perfect width to hold 19" components.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:32 am
FlyingDiver offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Here is the enclosure that I built (dropped quality to post it, hopefully pictures aren't too grainy)... it has worked out really well for me. Some of the cool features in case it could inspire anyone else...

• Consists of 2x Ikea Lack tables stacked on top of each other with all other parts being 3D printed on the printer itself (so, cheap!)
  • Thin Plexiglas panels to hold in heat for printing with certain materials (I leave them open when printing PLA)
  • Top panel has a internal cutout to ensure plenty of room for the multi-material setup and feeder tube
  • Humidity box on the 5th spool feed to allow printing of water soluble support materials
I do want to do some type of pull-out drawer underneath the table (attached to the legs, not the underside directly... not enough room) for acetone, isopropyl alcohol, rags, etc.

That's going to be the setup for my second printer. ;)

Is that an I3 MK3S with MMU2S?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 am
autolog offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
RogueProeliator wrote:
Here is the enclosure that I built (dropped quality to post it, hopefully pictures aren't too grainy)...

... Is that an I3 MK3S with MMU2S?

Yes it is (I have have got one as well). :D

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 am
FlyingDiver offline

autolog wrote:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering getting one of those. The Ender 3 Pro is a nice starter unit, but the Prusa looks like a real upgrade.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 am
autolog offline

You may have already seen this; it is a good summary: 2019 recap, plans for 2020 and Original Prusa MINI update

In the blog it mentions:
So while the MINI is performing wonderfully and we’re also working on the new “Prusa XL” 3D printer, ...
:)

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 am
autolog offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

I'm inspired! :D

I was placing an order for some IKEA stuff and so have added a Lack table to the mix. I will install it on top of my existing IKEA Kullaberg Desk which my printer currently sits on.

btw - I am very impressed with your printer setup. :)

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am
RogueProeliator offline

Yeah, I'm seriously considering getting one of those. The Ender 3 Pro is a nice starter unit, but the Prusa looks like a real upgrade.

I think that is probably how most people start -- the lower end ones are not terrible and you can get a good result, but the higher end ones tend to produce better prints more reliably. For instance, on my father's his print settings have to be tweaked virtually every time where as on mine once I dial in the requirements for a particular type (material/brand/sometimes spool) then I can usually reliably reproduce prints.

The nice thing about the Prusa printer line is that when new things come out they almost always have an upgrade path for their existing ones -- you can 3D print the new plastic parts and then purchase the new metal/motors/whatever can't be printed at a reasonable price. Saves a TON on a new machine! Of course, sometimes physical size can't be changed, but they have even had upgrade extruders, rails, step motors, etc. available as kits for upgrades.

I don't know about you but learning to use the MMU2S was a bit harder than the printer itself -- figuring out the right tension, how to maintain when something goes wrong (like filament stuck or not feeding, etc.) Once I did, thus far it has been pretty cool though I have not used multi-material as often as I initially thought due to the waste block. It isn't too bad if you can lay a print down and have it wider than tall, but prints that must be vertical can have significant waste.

btw - I am very impressed with your printer setup.

Thanks, man. The basic layout/plan/plastic models came from a Prusa blog post and I can dig up my link to it if you so desire. I customized it some from there via various models off Thingiverse/Prusa Library/custom made. All I can take really take credit for is the planning and build itself. If you want to build just the top (to just sit on top of the printer on your existing desk, it would be pretty easy to do so from their blog. If you keep their dimensions I have a link to a company that will sell the Plexiglas pre-cut. I can never seem to get a smooth, straight cut in Plexi no matter how many tricks I use. :-|

Adam

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm
mundmc offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

3D Print Enclosure.jpg

3D Print Enclosure II.jpg

a) That is sexy
b) I STILL have not yet assembled my new Creality because I KNOW it will require a solid 8-16 hours of tweaking (not a Prusa) to get right, and I’m preoccupied with a home theater build-out

I definitely need to make an enclosure as my printer will be relegated to the garage and I need to climate control it.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm
mundmc offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I got a big toolbox so I could clear off my workbench. I’ve got the Ender 3 Pro set up now. Still doing mods and such. Got a led light coming so I can get rid of the clamp light.

A lot of fun so far.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a legit tool cart. Envy.