Merry Christmas and an happy new automated decade..

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:13 pm
durosity offline

Merry Christmas and an happy new automated decade..

Well it’s that time of year again. I’m not religious in the slightest but I do enjoy it just for the music, the tv specials and of course the copious amounts of food to consume. It’s been a tough year for me.. rounding off with losing my job a few months ago due to rather unfortunate anxiety and mental health issues (which in all fairness was actually a blessing in disguise.. sometimes I don’t think you can really recognise how toxic an environment you’re in until you’re clear of it.. besides I really didn’t enjoy working as a software tester). Of course this has resulted in me finally being able to get back to working on my indigo system and other things in general that have just stalled the last few years. I just wanted to thank everyone of you for being wonderful people keeping this community going.. and especially Matt for being a generally wonderful chap.. and Jay for being.. Jay! Seriously though.. you two are the best and I genuinely appreciate every bit of help you give out here!

It’s funny.. I started properly getting into home automation in 2009.. in the decade that’s passed it seems almost unrecognisable to what it was like back then.. I wonder what it’ll be like in 2029.. I’m sure I’ll still be desperately awaiting indigo 12 (think that’ll be the one that has the new IWS replacement?). I’m slightly terrified that as Apple, Google and Amazon slowly corner the market it’s going to actually make things more difficult for us.. more closed protocols and systems that won’t work without cloud access even although they have absolutely no need for it.. but I guess we’ll see. And indeed what the world will actually look like then.. will we still be spiralling around Brexit? Will Scotland be an independent nation? Will Trump be on his *4th* term in power..............

Anyway I’m gonna stop prattling on now. I’m looking forward to the next decade.. I’m finally (hopefully) going to have time to work on projects that have been on hold for a long time and I have a couple of ideas for plugins that I’m hoping to finally get my knowledge up to a reasonable level on to be able to make and publish..

I’m going to go watch The Snowman now.. tissues on standby. Image

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:48 am
howartp offline

Re: Merry Christmas and an happy new automated decade..

Great post.

My dad retired early from his 30-year job, no problem there. Took a 3-4 day 4-hour community office job and loved it for 3 years till his boss retired. New boss slowly made life hell and my dad didn’t realise what effect it was having on his health till he finally quit.

Hope you have a good Christmas, and don’t forget to take the scraps down to Jay when everyone else has eaten. He needs some food at least or he’ll never get Indigo 8 finished in time for Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 am
DaveL17 offline

Happy holidays to all the Indigoers out there (whatever you may celebrate -- or not) and happy new year! It's a great time to appreciate all the people in our lives and remember those that no longer are. Family and friends are the most important things and we need to cherish the time we have with them. We'll be spending today with my wife's extended family and I can't wait.

This year is special for me because I'll be hanging up my cleats on January 1 and entering the world of the retired. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the chance to do the work that I've done and do it with people that I admire and respect. It's bitter sweet--the work was tough and rewarding--but it's time to take my foot off the gas. In the next year or two, we'll be selling this house and building a new one in central Wisconsin. The design is nearly complete and i"m excited to be able to build it with our lifestyle and home automation in mind. The general contractor we've selected is comfortable working with us and letting me do all the things I want to do--like low voltage wiring and whatnot--so that will be a great source of entertainment for me.

Happy (belated) Festivus!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:10 am
autolog offline

MERRY CHRISTMAS @durosity and all Indigoers.

A very special thanks to Matt and Jay for creating and supporting a great product!

With best wishes to all for a successful year of Indigo automating in 2020! :D

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:09 am
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
Great post.

My dad retired early from his 30-year job, no problem there. Took a 3-4 day 4-hour community office job and loved it for 3 years till his boss retired. New boss slowly made life hell and my dad didn’t realise what effect it was having on his health till he finally quit.

Hope you have a good Christmas, and don’t forget to take the scraps down to Jay when everyone else has eaten. He needs some food at least or he’ll never get Indigo 8 finished in time for Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah.. it fortunately wasn’t anywhere near as bad as that for me but still.. glad to be out. I’m actually considering retraining as a sparky.. I suspect the next 10 years is going to be very lucrative in that area as “smart” technology starts becoming much more mainstream.

And as for Jay.. I dunno.. scraps of food was his Xmas bonus if he got indigo 8 out before the holidays but he failed on that front... oh what the hey, it’s Christmas... JAY... come take 15 mins to eat your Brussels* sprouts then get back into your basement where you belong!

(*I’ve often wondered if brexiteers have banned them from their houses)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:10 am
durosity offline

DaveL17 wrote:
This year is special for me because I'll be hanging up my cleats on January 1 and entering the world of the retired. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the chance to do the work that I've done and do it with people that I admire and respect. It's bitter sweet--the work was tough and rewarding--but it's time to take my foot off the gas. In the next year or two, we'll be selling this house and building a new one in central Wisconsin. The design is nearly complete and i"m excited to be able to build it with our lifestyle and home automation in mind. The general contractor we've selected is comfortable working with us and letting me do all the things I want to do--like low voltage wiring and whatnot--so that will be a great source of entertainment for me.

Happy (belated) Festivus!

Oh congrats! I’m only slightly jealous. You MUST MUST MUST make lots of posts about the build and what you’re doing with it all, and take lots of pics.. I love seeing that stuff!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:37 am
autolog offline

durosity wrote:
... oh what the hey, it’s Christmas... JAY... come take 15 mins to eat your Brussels* sprouts then get back into your basement where you belong!

You can stop wondering - we haven't! :lol:

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:49 am
durosity offline

Ironically I’m most definitely in favour of a blanket ban on them!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:04 pm
Sevilsivle offline

durosity wrote:
... come take 15 mins to eat your Brussels* sprouts then get back into your basement where you belong!

They are now called „Westminter sprouts“

Happy Holidays to one and all!

Tim

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:06 pm
durosity offline

I’m even more likely to ban them now!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:23 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Carl

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:07 pm
Korey offline

Happy holidays to the best community there is on the net! 8)

Wishing everyone all the best in the new year!

Cheers! to Matt & Jay and to all the talented Plugin developers! Indigo just keeps getting better by the day!

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Merry Christmas! We genuinely have the best technical community I've ever seen here (thanks for starting this thread Durosity!) and I really enjoy hearing about what is going on for everyone outside of the world of home automation and Indigo. We spent most of the day at my parents' house (Norm that runs the Indigo store) with my kids (college and high school aged) and my brother's family including lots of my nephews and a niece. Multiple, and now regretful, portions of ham, grits, rolls and desserts were consumed but it was great having everyone together sharing stories.

I hope everyone has a good break and safe travels if they are away from home. Happy Holidays everyone!

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:23 am
kw123 offline

A merry Christmas from Elmau/Bavaria
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0N5Uzl7VGGszvy
Karl
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.19.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.19.14 AM.png (300.7 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.19.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 10.19.46 AM.png (439.97 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 am
DaveL17 offline

Well, I sure can't beat that view. What a great place to spend the holidays.

p.s. It was 60º and sunny here in Chicago yesterday.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1