I'm having second thoughts about Indigo

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 am
IndigoSam offline

Re: I'm having second thoughts about Indigo

Topolino wrote:
.... and if you see any reason at all not to make the switch.

Reasons not to switch, well there are a few.

• You mention it is easy to use. Having to edit a config file to enable z-wave is not easy to use. That is a trivial example, there is a lot of editing files to get things working.
  • I love the Raspberry PI. Not quite sure I want one running 24/7 on a production system. I consider my home automation, like my car computer, to be 'production' in a home sense.
  • The general instability of a rapidly changing product that is pre version 1, worked on by many people. For example: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/z-wave-stopped-working-after-hass-io-update-to-0-81-0/75307
  • Uncertainty around the long term developer commitment to the various moving parts of the product. We have some Indigo plugins that have arrived then fallen behind or stopped as the developer moves on, as to be expected for free work. Imagine if the whole product was like that, not just plugins.
  • I disagree with you around the 'Lovelace UI', it is not something I would want to spend any time with.

That said, it looks like a cool product and some interesting work. Something to tinker with over the weekend for me, not for prime time.

Sam.