Windows 10 help needed

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Windows 10 help needed

I know most of the people on this forum are Mac users, but there seem to be a few knowledgeable Windows users too.

I have a Window 10 system that I built. It was originally intended to be a Hackintosh, but I got tired of the constant struggle to keep the drivers up to date, and trying to get all the Mac special features running. Anyway, I made it into a Windows 10 only system.

But somehow I managed to screw up the boot partitions. The system as a 525GB Crucial SSD and a Seagate 4TB HD. The Windows boot partition is on the SSD. But the EFI partition is on the HD. If I disconnect the HD, no boot. :(

There's a second NTFS partition on the SSD, about 400MB. That should be more than enough for the EFI, but it's AFTER the boot partition.

How do I get the EFI loaded onto the partition? Booting Win10 off a USB and trying to "repair" the install doesn't work.

Help?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:12 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Windows 10 help needed

How do I get the EFI loaded onto the partition? Booting Win10 off a USB and trying to "repair" the install doesn't work.

It has been a long while since I've had to tinker with this, but I believe you need to boot via the media and drop out to a command prompt...

You'll need to use diskpart to create that second partition as EFI, then use bcdboot to install that (new) EFI as the system boot partition.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:11 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Windows 10 help needed

I gave up. I couldn't figure out how to add the EFI partition, so I figured I'd do a system image backup to another drive, then format the disk from scratch. That seemed to work fine.

But then Windows absolutely refused to restore the image. No matter how I booted the system and mounted/unmounted the drive with the image backup, it just wouldn't do it. I booted from USB, I booted from a system recovery DVD. Same problems. I removed the drive from the computer, booted it up, then mounted the drive using an external drive dock. That got me the closest, but it still gave me a failure message when it started to do the restore. I think Microsoft's tools are just broken.

I could probably have done it properly with Acronis, but I didn't have that installed on any of my systems.

Sigh.

So I'm rebuilding the Win10 box from scratch. Including downloading and installing probably 100GB of games and other software.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1