WeBoost Cell Phone Booster

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

WeBoost Cell Phone Booster

Anyone had any experience with the WeBoost home cell phone boosters? The radiant heat barrier on our roof sheathing basically destroys all incoming signals -- and our outside the house signal is acceptable but not strong, so the net result is that conversation on a cell phone inside the house is almost non existent.

They seem to have decent enough reviews from my research, but don't know anyone with first-hand knowledge...

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: WeBoost Cell Phone Booster

We used to have one and it did a reliable job of pulling the outside signal into the house. Not that you are saying this, but many people think that it'll provide a stronger signal than that--it won't. We used one until we were able to move to Verizon's WiFi calling feature. Now our calls are routed through the WAN when we're home and the call quality is like a landline.

I would recommend the Wilson products if that's what you need to get a decent signal indoors. But they ain't cheap.

If you haven't looked into it, you might also want to inquire whether your carrier offers a femtocell or other WAP.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:16 pm
ELWOOD offline

Have sprint for my cell service and reception at the house is poor. Sprint sent me there "Airvena" box a few years ago when I complained that helped a little. It's not a booster but a mini
cell sight. Only worked in a few rooms. When Apple added WiFi calling to there phones I turned it on and it works better than when using the cell service.

If your WiFi works throughout you house that might be the best way to go.

Elwood

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ELWOOD wrote:
Have sprint for my cell service and reception at the house is poor.
[SNIP]
When Apple added WiFi calling to there phones I turned it on and it works better than when using the cell service.

<rant>I made the disastrous decision last fall to switch from AT&T to Sprint. In central Texas, Sprint coverage is terribly, horrifically bad (I've only gotten 4 full bars when I'm out of state - most of the time here only get 1 or 2 on my iPhone X). The only saving grace is that they have WiFi calling so at least I can use my frigg'n phone when I'm around known WiFi networks. When my lease is up next year I'll be fleeing back to AT&T unless the Sprint/T-Mobile merger goes through and I can get on the T-Mobile network (which I hear from friends works very well here).</rant>

Sorry for going off into the weeds... :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 am
Japple55 offline

Adam,
I can't speak to any specific home products, but I know WeBoost/Wilson enjoy an excellent reputation for their mobile boosters among the RVing community.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/review ... -boosters/

Jim

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:25 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I can't speak to any specific home products, but I know WeBoost/Wilson enjoy an excellent reputation for their mobile boosters among the RVing community.

That's where I first heard about them, but of course they are using a different antenna and booster. But their reputation there is what got me thinking about it for inside the home.

We used to have one and it did a reliable job of pulling the outside signal into the house. Not that you are saying this, but many people think that it'll provide a stronger signal than that--it won't. We used one until we were able to move to Verizon's WiFi calling feature. Now our calls are routed through the WAN when we're home and the call quality is like a landline.

So yeah, if I could get it to use WiFi calling all the time I would be a happy camper. The problem is we have just enough of a signal where it thinks the Verizon signal is good enough and Verizon locks the phones into it preferring LTE; can't switch it off to WiFi from what I can tell (I could when I tested Project Fi). The Verizon signal outside, though not awesome, would be acceptable indoors.

If you haven't looked into it, you might also want to inquire whether your carrier offers a femtocell or other WAP.

That is probably the better option. And cheaper. My only issue with this is that everything is routed through your Internet connection -- which overall is not the end of the world... but our house phone is through that too (VOIP) so just seemed better to not have both. Probably WAAAAAYYYY over thinking that considering can step outside if necessary...

Adam

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:04 pm
RogueProeliator offline

A lot of the carriers have stopped selling their picocells as they have other alternatives like WiFi calling.

Verizon still has a Samsung network extender... If they would enable my setting to prefer WiFi calling I wouldn't have to worry about this. I could wait it out and see if they similarly cripple the Pixel 3 in October OR pull up the phone in ADB and try setting the flag behind the scenes. I seem to remember some doing that before Verizon even allowed the use of WiFi calling at all.

I wish they didn't have the best overall coverage (in places I tend to go, just not inside the house...)

Posted on
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I wish they didn't have the best overall coverage (in places I tend to go, just not inside the house...)

Amen brother.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:25 am
Sharek326 offline

I used an AT&T Microcell a few years back before I got frustrated with it and just switched to Verizon.

Biggest problems were you needed to reset the Microcell often in order for the cell phone to work. This made it a bit less than convenient in case of such emergencies where one might need to report a burglary. Bad guys don't tend to let you reset your cell phone to call for assistance.

The other issue was when it was working. AT&T had service in my town just not in my house. Even a block away was full bars. But if you were on a call on the Microcell it should have handed off as I exited the house but instead it would just drop the call

Page 1 of 1