Favorite fruit company... reanimated

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 am
akimball offline

Re: Favorite fruit company... reanimated

I misspoke...it’s not 16 cores...12 cores in a package about the size of mac mini.
Last edited by akimball on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:57 am
durosity offline

roussell wrote:
siclark wrote:
Hey... Matt and Jay got a shout out!

"In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms."
https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Surely they can only be talking about Indigo, right???

That’s awesome! What else could they be talking about?? Nothing of merit, for sure! Way to go Matt and Jay, they must have heard that you’re experimenting with other platforms; you just can’t trust Durosity with corporate secrets!!!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually that was a planned leak. Me, Jay and Matt have had hundreds of hours of meetings to discuss the intricate nature of our plan.. the indigo jet has logged more hours in the last 6 months than an end of life 747.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 am
roussell offline

akimball wrote:
The xeon-D products we design are this size but they are for military use and covered with heat-sink fins...we go up to double 16-core in the box. It is up to our customers to make sure our xeon-D mission computers are fastened to an appropriate cold-plate. The system will throttle before it fries. So it’s possible thermally. Our systems start at $30K per unit, but you can shoot them out of a bazooka and they keep going.

If you get an employee discount, it's probably close in price to a fully optioned new-gen Mini! :lol:

Terry

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am
akimball offline

If you get an employee discount, it's probably close in price to a fully optioned new-gen Mini! :lol:

Lol, i could get the discount...I’m the hardware design engineer....the cabling required for those front panel rugged high-speed 38999 connectors costs more than the new mini! In fact, so do the connectors, .....almost. :) All designed to keep your F-35 in the air.

So I just priced out the mini I want. Came to $1399.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm
akimball offline

Mac Mini choices...

$799 base choice...
...add $300 for 6-core, gen8, i7
...add $100 for 10GbE port.

$1199 oob from fruitCompany.
....add $150 for 1TB SSD, 3rd party
....add $250 est. for 32GB ddr4, 3rd party

Total cost $1600-USD
....Trash two 4-GB ddr4 dimms and a 128-TB SSD

$1099 base choice...
...add $200 for 6-core, gen8, i7
...add $100 for 10GbE port.

=$1399 oob from fruitCompany.
....add $150 for 1TB SSD, 3rd party
....add $250 est. for 32GB ddr4, 3rd party

Total cost $1800-USD
...trash two 4-GB ddr4 dimms and 256-TB SSD

Better deal to buy lowest Mac Mini model.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
siclark wrote:
Hey... Matt and Jay got a shout out!

"In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms."
https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Surely they can only be talking about Indigo, right???

That’s awesome! What else could they be talking about?? Nothing of merit, for sure! Way to go Matt and Jay, they must have heard that you’re experimenting with other platforms; you just can’t trust Durosity with corporate secrets!!!

Terry

Fun! Would have been better if they'd mentioned us by name, but we'll take it. Will be interesting to see if they have the USB bug issue... :shock:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm
akimball offline

I like to think Tim has been reading the indigo forum and saw all of my perpetual belly-achin about lack of new mac mini. Somebody’s got to do it.

I can finally die happy.

So, with regard to that 10-GbE port, if you connect that directly to a 24-port GbE switch with an additional 4 or 6 10-GbE ports, then as your POE’d camera streams each get combined in the switch, they have a nice fat pipe to the mini where securityspy plays. Love it. This will do tons for those of us running securityspy and indigo. A 2nd fat pipe could go from the switch to the nas server for plex.

A big step forward for home automation, particularly if the elusive usb bug goes away.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:54 pm
siclark offline

Doesn't that need the switch capable of outputting 10GbE?

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm
akimball offline

Doesn't that need the switch capable of outputting 10GbE?

Yes, yes it does. I think I said that? Maybe. So, for a typical home situation, you install one central switch with 24 or 48 GbE ports....but many of those boxes also have,a group of 4, 6, or 8 10-GbE ports...often called sfp+.

Example...one I like:

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-SmartPro-Stackable-DGS-1510-28X/dp/B00MCZNW5G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1541000132&sr=8-13&keywords=10GbE

(Edit: had the wrong link here...i changed the product link.)

I’ve seen others for half this price. POE....10-GbE...lots of ports....lightly managed. I’ve designed several board level switches over the years using broadcom, marvell, and now defunct vitesse. One up and coming 10-GbE PHY chip supplier is Aquantia....if you look under the hood and see their chips, it’s a really good thing. They specialize in low power 10-GbE parts...for industry, automotive, enterprise. Great company with good products. If you want a green switch that is. 10-gbe switches are power hungry!
Last edited by akimball on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:54 am
Different Computers offline

I'm not about to go price it out, but won't a 10Gb switch with 24 ports cost about as much as the Mini that can use it?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:31 am
akimball offline

150 to 850 depending on features and make. May be not required depending on number and type and settings of security cams.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am
akimball offline

Unless you want a cisco switch then 2000, worse...mil-grade-hardware...10K+ for radar/lidar imaging and mine sweeping/detonation. Or 25K for space-grade rad-hard....vacation on Mars perhaps?

-Al

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 pm
akimball offline

So the mac mini ram will be upgradeable. It looks like the ssd storage is soldered down.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:13 pm
roussell offline

lanbrown wrote:
I looked at OWC and they showed RAM for it but not SSD; so it could be soldered down which is a real shame. It doesn't last forever. Normally Apple uses some interface even if it was PCIe for flash.

OWC wanted $1,070 for 64GB of RAM and Apple wanted $1,400 for it. So Apple isn't being as proud as they have in the past with their pricing.

Wow! Far better to go with 32GB (2x16GB) until the 32GB sticks become more popular and the price drops - unless you REALLY need 64GB. 2x16GB 2666MHz DDR4 PC4-21300 SODIMMS are pretty to get for a few hundred bucks these days. I've never ran out of RAM with 16GB in my 2012-era mini, but again I only use it for Indigo.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:23 pm
akimball offline

I think 16G or 32G would be fine for securitySpy needs. I realize indigo is not going to tax the new mac mini much. A media server app on top of those could demand a few heavy buffers.

I wonder what is the most memory intensive thing Indigo could possibly be asked to do?

(Looking at the mac mini purely from a home automation standpoint.)

-Al