Favorite fruit company... reanimated

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:44 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Favorite fruit company... reanimated

akimball wrote:
Kinda worried about it. Maybe I’ll bite-hard and pickup an imac pro....and shove it into my equipment closet. All depends on what’s said tomorrow. I want to add 4 more cams so there’s that too.

Before I'd do that with a $5K machine I'd get a used Mac Pro and upgrade the heck out of it for half that. A 2010 and a new GPU will run Mojave.

I got upgraded CPUs, more memory, a PCI card for SSDs, and another PCI card with USB 3.0 ports on it for mine.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 pm
akimball offline

Might do that....i hesitate because of the cpu/gpu specs listed by the securityspy calculator....but i haven’t included the older mac pro’s yet. The imac pro’s will do as many as 190 cameras because of their gpu....maybe I won’t need 190 cams. Lol.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 pm
kw123 offline

have 12 cameras with unifi video on Ubuntu virtual box and indigo w 500+ devices, zwave, Insteon .. on Mac Pro 2012 High Sierra
Total CPU 6 %

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 pm
FlyingDiver offline

akimball wrote:
Might do that....i hesitate because of the cpu/gpu specs listed by the securityspy calculator....but i haven’t included the older mac pro’s yet. The imac pro’s will do as many as 190 cameras because of their gpu....maybe I won’t need 190 cams. Lol.

I've got 7 4.1MP (2688x1520) cameras at 15fps. Each runs at 25-30% CPU. With 12 2.93GHz cores, that's about 15% total CPU usage.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:34 pm
roussell offline

Favorite fruit company... reanimated

lanbrown wrote:
In the beginning the only issue I had was USB based and I had to change the USB controller mode.

Did you pass-through the entire USB controller to the VM? I tried running Indigo on a VM early on, but the Insteon USB PLM gave me fits with everything I tried so I abandoned it. That was back on ESXi 6.0 so I haven’t tried in a while.

Also, unrelated but; have you put Mojave on a VM yet? It seems incredibly slow compared to earlier versions and I’m wondering if it’s APFS. I may try setting up a raw disk as a test to see if that fairs any better. This is on ESXi 6.7u1 BTW

Terry

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm
akimball offline

About those VM’s....I don’t want to make the system too complex for the next homeowner. I wonder if a VM would do that, although I may be able to simply rip out everything.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:01 pm
roussell offline

lanbrown wrote:
I was going to give VMware time to iron out the APFS issues.

Probably the best plan - I only installed it to play with a bit. The install went fine, but took much longer to complete than [High}Sierra (almost 2 hours). Everything seems to work in the Mojave VM, it's just slow. I may continue to mess around with it, and maybe try a raw disk just to see what happens, but I'll stick to earlier versions for any serious work I want to do in a Mac VM.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 pm
roussell offline

That’s a good point worth exploring, this instance is in-fact an upgrade from High Sierra. I’ll create a Mojave ISO and see how a fresh install compares.

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:35 am
FlyingDiver offline

6 cores. Looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:57 am
roussell offline

It would have been nice to see an 8 or 10 core single processor, but I guess that would eat into the Mac Pro line so yeh 6 isn’t bad. Isn’t that still a generation is so behind current on the CPU though? 64 Gb Ram is very nice, as is the optional 10Gb Ethernet. I see Apple is still terribly proud of their memory though - $1,400 for 64Gb of laptop memory???? At least it’s not soldered on and can be bought for probably a third of that cost elsewhere. The 10Gb Ethernet is a reasonable $100 upgrade though, and I suppose the i7 upgrade for $200 is worthwhile as well.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 am
FlyingDiver offline

lanbrown wrote:
I wish they would have used the Xeon-D range. Then they could have also added an IPMI interface as well. The Xeon-D range goes up to 16 physical cores but starts at 4 physical cores. Hypertherading is also supported.

Almost certainly too much power for the form factor.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 am
siclark offline

Hey... Matt and Jay got a shout out!

"In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms."
https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Surely they can only be talking about Indigo, right???

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 am
roussell offline

siclark wrote:
Hey... Matt and Jay got a shout out!

"In addition to being a great desktop computer, Mac mini powers everything from home automation to giant render farms."
https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Surely they can only be talking about Indigo, right???

That’s awesome! What else could they be talking about?? Nothing of merit, for sure! Way to go Matt and Jay, they must have heard that you’re experimenting with other platforms; you just can’t trust Durosity with corporate secrets!!!

Terry

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 am
akimball offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
lanbrown wrote:
I wish they would have used the Xeon-D range. Then they could have also added an IPMI interface as well. The Xeon-D range goes up to 16 physical cores but starts at 4 physical cores. Hypertherading is also supported.

The xeon-D products we design are this size but they are for military use and covered with heat-sink fins...we go up to double 16-core in the box. It is up to our customers to make sure our xeon-D mission computers are fastened to an appropriate cold-plate. The system will throttle before it fries. So it’s possible thermally. Our systems start at $30K per unit, but you can shoot them out of a bazooka and they keep going.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:38 am
FlyingDiver offline

akimball wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
lanbrown wrote:

The xeon-D products we design are this size but they are for military use and covered with heat-sink fins...we go up to double 16-core in the box. It is up to our customers to make sure our xeon-D mission computers are fastened to an appropriate cold-plate. The system will throttle before it fries. So it’s possible thermally. Our systems start at $30K per unit, but you can shoot them out of a bazooka and they keep going.

Not going to fit in the form factor as it is, are they?

Maybe in the modular pro (when and if).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)