Anyone played with Wyzecams yet?

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 1:57 pm
noel1983 offline

Anyone played with Wyzecams yet?

Hi all,
Seen some great reviews of Wyzecams and as I'm heading out to the US this Summer i've just taken advantage of them being $20 each and have ordered 5 of them to be delivered to the house i'm staying at (friendly owner who'll stash them away for me :) )

So I know they'll be locked down, won't have onvif etc but just wondered what opportunities there are for indigo
Cheers
Noel

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Anyone played with Wyzecams yet?

You talking about the Wyzecam V2 as described here? https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

I have the XD version, and I like it. About 99% reliable, and the hacked sw is super capable.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 pm
noel1983 offline

Yep the V2’s awesome that’s good to know.
What are you doing with yours with respect to indigo automation?

Does that custom firmware enable them to work with any of the cctv plugins?

Cheers

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 am
Different Computers offline

I've never once run the built in software, so can't speak to that.

The hacked loader & software were pretty easy to install, even for not-so-good at the command line me. The new SW is quite good, and does provide an RTSP stream that allows it to work with most security camera systems. I'm not using any of those though.

I do all my camera stuff more or less live, and I'm satisfied for now with just grabbing and serving snapshots.

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=20606

This thread might also give you some ideas on how I use the camera. viewtopic.php?f=107&t=20618

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 am
noel1983 offline

Awesome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:10 am
noel1983 offline

Just back from my US trip and have 5 wyzecams to play with. Ordered some external housings and Poe to micro usb converters that are arriving today from amazon (easiest way to run power to them from my garage

So that’s my weekends job as well as trying out the custom firmware from above

Also need to give security spy a whirl and choose something to let me have all five cameras on one screen.

Roll on autumn and worse weather so we all get more time for proper home automation goodness!

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:39 am
noel1983 offline

Going to give this one a try https://github.com/openipcamera/openipc-firmware

it's a fork from Dafang hacks specifically for the Wyzecams.

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 am
siclark offline

How are people getting along with these cameras and the open firmware?

Wyzecam aren't in the UK yet but I see other companies are now selling the same hardware but with different app and firmware on it. I'm wondering if I'll be able to load the same custom firmware on these as the wyzecam?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neos-SmartCam- ... B07JY7K3SZ

"both the Neos SmartCam and Wyze cameras are based on the same hardware, with the same core features, the app experience differs as does the firmware of the two cameras. This means that only Neos SmartCams will work with our Neos SmartHome app and our camera will not work on other providers apps."

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 am
noel1983 offline

I successfully flashed them and got them into security spy which was good.
However they repeatedly dropped out which was frustrating.
Haven’t invested much time into solving that yet,
On top of that the custom firmware couldn’t do auto day/night switching which renders them a bit useless at least for my purposes.

Things may have moved on over last month or two I haven’t checked back in to see if any updates.

Shows good promise but definitely needs strong Wi-Fi to be successful.

A good little project to play with with some good potential

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:51 am
siclark offline

Hmm, the lack of 2 way audio was already a downside, lack of auto night mode another problem.
My WiFi is very strong thanks to unifi APs so that shouldn't be a problem.
I've ordered a Danang to play with for now. Will leave the wyzecam clone for another day.

Posted on
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:12 am
noel1983 offline

siclark wrote:
Hmm, the lack of 2 way audio was already a downside, lack of auto night mode another problem.
My WiFi is very strong thanks to unifi APs so that shouldn't be a problem.
I've ordered a Danang to play with for now. Will leave the wyzecam clone for another day.

So today I got my hacked wyze v2 working through security spy and home kit with indigo! Awesome

Have also found that apparently you can turn the ir leds etc on ok and can be scripted so should be easy enough to get indigo to turn the various modes on at sunset.

Will try that out later today so may be some hope!

Posted on
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 pm
siclark offline

Awesome. Do you get sound through SS and or Homekit?

Posted on
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:09 pm
noel1983 offline

No I don’t think so, think that’s only for wyze software, I’ll test with security spy in a bit.

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:25 am
siclark offline

My dafang pan and tilt camera has arrived. I have flashed the new firmware and all ok for now. It's a bit patchy with connection over WiFi so need to play with the settings. SS seems to show there is audio but as soon as I enable preview the connection drops.
There is info about setting up a swap file on the. SD card so might try that and see if it helps.
The auto night mode using hardware option doesn't seem to do much. As it's indoors and the is no logic to when lights are on and off.
Need some more time to play.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2022 3:29 pm
scs offline

I have 2 of the Wyzecam v3 cameras, They work well, and I'm pretty satisfied with simply using their Lite service,
What I was curious about is whether I can turn on some (Indigo- controlled) spotlights when the camera detects motion

...maybe if the camera is published to Alexa ?

thanks in advance

Indigo 2022.2 w/ Insteon and Z-Wave lights and outlets
Security integration.
Energy monitoring