Apple's latest battery debacle

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm
roussell offline

Apple's latest battery debacle

I'm sure you all have head about apple slowing down the processors of older iPhones to supposedly compensate for the reduced capacity of aging lithium batteries. While it's known that Apple typically solves for battery life in it's devices, this seems more than a little suspect, to me at least. With the lackluster iPhone 8, the confusing release of the iPhone X, and the other disappointments around Apple corp as of late, I'm thinking that this iPhone 6 plus (that HAS been slowed down) I own may be my last. Android has been looking better and better lately, especially with the latest generations of Samsung and Google phones.

Curious as to what you all of think about all of this, and if it affects your future buying decisions.

Terry
Last edited by roussell on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:30 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Apple latest battery debacle

I still have faith in Apple and I have invested a not insignificant amount of time, effort and money into the entire Apple ecosystem not only for my personal life but my multiple companies as well so I'm willing to give them a chance to screw up royally. Nobody is perfect and I'm not an Android fan so I'll stick with Apple for now.

I think the battery thing is way overblown, it's a reason for people to poke Apple with a big stick and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. If we found out half the crap the every OTHER manufacture does to us to force us to upgrade (hello Microsoft and Google, I speak to you) that we have yet no clue about then.... What about Google's cringe worthy privacy policies that blew up and got brushed under the rug? Everyone has warts.

Now if someone tells me Santa isn't real I'm going to lose my s*** :shock: :o :D

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:35 pm
roussell offline

Re: Apple latest battery debacle

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I still have faith in Apple and I have invested a not insignificant amount of time, effort and money into the entire Apple ecosystem not only for my personal life but my multiple companies as well so I'm willing to give them a chance to screw up royally. Nobody is perfect and I'm not an Android fan so I'll stick with Apple for now.

I think the battery thing is way overblown, it's a reason for people to poke Apple with a big stick and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. If we found out half the crap the every OTHER manufacture does to us to force us to upgrade (hello Microsoft and Google, I speak to you) that we have yet no clue about then.... What about Google's cringe worthy privacy policies that blew up and got brushed under the rug? Everyone has warts.

Now if someone tells me Santa isn't real I'm going to lose my s*** :shock: :o :D

I hear ya, especially about the privacy thing - but they should have had a user-settable switch somewhere, unless they're no longer worried about "the experience". I'm a Jobs-era fanboy but not sure if Corporate-Cook has what it takes (plus he's an Auburn grad, so.... #RollTide). The move definitely makes me think of the Microsoft-of-old and it's secretive tactics.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:48 pm
durosity offline

Re: Apple's latest battery debacle

I'd hardly call the iPhone X a confusing release. They released a 8 for those who wanted to continue having the same layout and functionality as the existing models, but with a faster processor and better camera, etc. I bought an 8 mostly because the wife wouldn't allow me to spend the extra on the X. So i'm glad it exists. :)

As for Android... no. Until Google makes it so that ALL models of phone are guaranteed updates for at least 3 years after the release of the device, AND that they get those updates on the day google release it I'm never going to get one. I don't care what whiz-bang new features it has.. the update situation is ridiculous. And what i want will never happen because there's too much variation in product releases for it to be viable. Also until Google stop treating customers as 'the product' i'm avoiding as many of their services as possible. I even use DuckDuckGo for search.

Now what would be nice is if there was a toggle to turn on battery life vs speed on older models.. i suspect that'll appear in future updates now this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

I don't think it's that big of a deal myself, although a note might've been nice. "Your battery is getting old so we're slowing things down a bit to balance performance and battery life."

But if the difference in performance is that big of a concern, a new battery (installed at an Apple store) isn't really that much money.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm
roussell offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I don't think it's that big of a deal myself, although a note might've been nice. "Your battery is getting old so we're slowing things down a bit to balance performance and battery life."

But if the difference in performance is that big of a concern, a new battery (installed at an Apple store) isn't really that much money.

It's more of a hassle - let me decide if I want to solve for performance or battery life. If I get 80% usage from my 6+ as I did when it was new, but the speed is the same, that's fine for me, I'm never far from power. Others may not agree, but thats why it should be selectable. Maybe it's just the last straw on a pile of things that are already ticking me off, but for some reason it really burns me up. Yeah a batter my not cost that much, but it'll take a lot of my time, and it'll be a hassle, and that has a price higher than a battery. All needless if they'd just leave the damn thing alone.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:00 pm
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
I'd hardly call the iPhone X a confusing release.

It'll be confusing in two years when they release another iPhone 10... :shock:

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:14 pm
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
...As for Android... no. Until Google makes it so that ALL models of phone are guaranteed updates for at least 3 years after the release of the device, AND that they get those updates on the day google release it I'm never going to get one. .

What I'd really love is a true Linux-powered phone. Ubuntu had one going for a while, and I think the software is still available for some Android phones, but it died out before ever getting a strong start, not sure why.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I love my X! L O V E. The IOS is a bit buggy but show me one single release of Windows since 3.11 that wasn't a total hunk of steaming poo....even AFTER patches. 7 was good, 10 is decent but it took a lot to get it there.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 pm
durosity offline

I used to think the same.. and before that I used to think Linux on the desktop was the next big thing. But it’ll never happen. It’s just too complicated for the average user, even when wrapped up in a fancy UI.

And with that amount of openness frankly fragmentation would become even worse than android. I think Apple has got the balance near perfect.. the only thing I wish would be they’d be slightly more open on some things such as side-loading apps. I appreciate exactly why they don’t want that though.. both from a security AND financial point of view.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
Curious as to what you all of think about all of this, and if it affects your future buying decisions.

I noticed the slowdown on my iPhone 6, but I also noticed that it no longer died when it said 14% was left just a few seconds earlier. My personal feeling is that they should have made the decision public at least so we would have known. And they could also have publicized the fact that $79 for a new battery was also an option - I didn't even know about that and frankly might have opted for that (though I did get a sweet deal on my iPhone X from Sprint). Of course, that's less revenue...

durosity wrote:
I'd hardly call the iPhone X a confusing release.

I have to go with Durosity on this one (yeah, it had to happen some day). I don't see anything about the release itself as being confused, nor do I see any confusion in the iPhone lineup. Look at the Samesung phone lineup for the definition of confusing...

As for GoogleDroid - absolutely no way. I don't trust them to stay out of my business. Their business model relies on unfettered access to my business. The two just aren't compatible.

I also have a substantial investment in Apple, and switching would be painful.

I will say that given the quality issues that have been growing for years, I'm somewhat pessimistic about the future: I'm seeing stuff that I would expect from Microsoft, and that's bad. Still, nobody, absolutely NOBODY makes a user experience that is even close to what Apple delivers. I've tried many times over many years to switch on the desktop and am always just revolted by the "competition". I've tried Android devices a couple of times and frankly they seem glued together as well. Every time I see the competition it makes me think they stopped at about 90% and called it done. Apple seems to be the only one that goes that extra 10% (though not on everything unfortunately).

And Terry is a bamer fan (#WarEagle) so anything he thinks/says is questionable right out of the gate... :twisted:

My wish is that some newcomer would come in and just blow the doors off of everyone with something completely new. I don't see it happening, but man wouldn't that be amazing? Someone with attention to detail, with a brand new take on UX, etc. That would be incredible.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:29 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:

I have to go with Durosity on this one

That’s one of the signs of the apocalypse isn’t it?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
My wish is that some newcomer would come in and just blow the doors off of everyone with something completely new. I don't see it happening, but man wouldn't that be amazing? Someone with attention to detail, with a brand new take on UX, etc. That would be incredible.

Apple did this with the iPhone. Every smartphone since has been a clone of that template. Something that radical won’t happen again for a loooooong time.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 pm
roussell offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I love my X! L O V E. The IOS is a bit buggy but show me one single release of Windows since 3.11 that wasn't a total hunk of steaming poo....even AFTER patches. 7 was good, 10 is decent but it took a lot to get it there.

I was going to buy an X, but wanted to see how things shook out a little more, and if this really is a direction for Apple, or just a fling (says the buyer of a Apple Cube AND an eMac, and the pod/flower iMac), now I just don't know. I'd never go back to windows - a have a Windows 10 laptop for development use, but thats it. 3 MacBooks, 4 Mac Mini's, and iMac and numerous iPads, Apple TVs, iPhones in the family. So I've definitely bought into the eco system, but having Fire TVs, Echos, and Fire Tablets has let me see that others are doing some pretty good stuff too. My 6 year old can say "Alexa, change the channel to Disney Junior" and have the Fire TV open Playstation Vue and switch the channel. That's impressive.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:35 pm
durosity offline

I did love the G4 Cube. I’ve got one sitting on my desk with a 23” Cinema Display and some sound sticks.. it’s a gorgeous design. I plan to do something with it someday.. perhaps a raspberry pi.. for indigo pi?

Computer says no.