Samsung Washing Machine - Samsung Smart Home

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:15 am
AndyVirus offline

Samsung Washing Machine - Samsung Smart Home

Hello All,

Washing machine died, ordered new one, has wifi. :-)
The new washing machine uses Samsung Smart Home which seems to have an API of some sort (not looked into it much yet) here: http://developer.samsung.com/smart-home
Has anyone looked at Samsung Smart Home yet and if so is Indigo integration possible?

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 am
AndyVirus offline

Re: Samsung Washing Machine - Samsung Smart Home

OK so found this in IFTTT https://ifttt.com/SamsungWasher so that may be the route to go but always nice not to have to rely on clouds, or as few as possible.

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 am
AndyVirus offline

Gets delivered tomorrow... will see what ports are open on it once it has arrived and associated to my IoT SSID/Vlan and go from there... no one got any Samsung Smart Home suff?

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:41 am
RogueProeliator offline

Gets delivered tomorrow... will see what ports are open on it once it has arrived and associated to my IoT SSID/Vlan and go from there... no one got any Samsung Smart Home suff?

So this interfaces with Samsung's SmartThings? Isn't that completely a cloud solution (I know several people have come from SmartThings to Indigo, pretty sure that was part of the reason)? If so, it is possible that it will be difficult to directly tie into Indigo locally.

For example, I have a Trane ComfortLink air conditioner unit that allows internet-based control, but it is the one initiating the connection to its cloud component, it won't accept incoming connections. Thus, it is more difficult to integrate than it is worth in this particular case (though I would LOVE to have control!)

Good luck and keep us updated!

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 am
durosity offline

I'll be interested to see if this is doable or not... i'd love to have integration with my appliances.. even if it were just simple read only.. eg being able to see that the microwave still has 10 mins timer on it, or the oven is currently at 200° and has been on for 1 hour. (And yes that's 200° Celsius.. no silly imperial measurements here.. now excuse me while i nip down the pub for a pint.) or the washing machine is due to finish in 20 mins.

In fact i'd say the kitchen is the last area without any real automation presence. Or at least at sensible prices.

Of course i'd have to think twice about buying a Samsung Washing Machine.. they have been known to explode....

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 am
AndyVirus offline

Explode you say? Ill get a smoke detector in the utility room then! Daaaamn!
Chose this one as it has some level of connectability. Anything i buy has that as a design choice. The only thing that i did not get was the AGA cooker (electric induction not the heat the world up kind)...

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:38 am
durosity offline

Hehe it was just the top loading ones popular in the US.. it all came out around the time of the Note 7 debacle!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:42 am
AndyVirus offline

Just had a look and just looks like the vertical drum came lose to me... Exploded... I must remember not to take the washing machine on my next flight... Dont know if you have been on a flight recently but a few ask you to turn of Samsung phones before take off and if they start to smoke then to notify the cabin crew! Hilarious!

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -machines/

Unfortunately, I have one. Their solution was a new set of stickers (to put bedding into a different cycle) and a replacement lid latch which hopefully will contain any "explosion". Feeble attempt at best IMO, I'm quite surprised that the CPSC allowed this as a valid remediation. Once I found out what the "fix" was, it was too late to get any kind of refund/exchange (though I wouldn't have recouped the full cost of the thing, which I had just purchased about a month before this story broke).

Sigh - now you know why I'll never buy a Samsung product again... :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:10 am
johnpolasek offline

durosity wrote:
I'll be interested to see if this is doable or not... i'd love to have integration with my appliances.. even if it were just simple read only.. eg being able to see that the microwave still has 10 mins timer on it, or the oven is currently at 200° and has been on for 1 hour. (And yes that's 200° Celsius.. no silly imperial measurements here.. now excuse me while i nip down the pub for a pint.) or the washing machine is due to finish in 20 mins.

In fact i'd say the kitchen is the last area without any real automation presence. Or at least at sensible prices.

Of course i'd have to think twice about buying a Samsung Washing Machine.. they have been known to explode....

Well, they are now pushing these "Smart refrigerators" with cameras and WIFI to help you with shopping lists here in the states
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-22-2-cu-ft-Family-Hub-4-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Recessed-Handle-in-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-RF23M8570SR/301328391

But what can you expect from the French?

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:06 am
AndyVirus offline

Until supermarkets use rfid tags for all the relevant details and fridges can warn you when something needs to be used up in x days, i fail to see the point of a smart fridge other than basic ifo such as door left open, temp etc. The screen to me is pointless unless it knows whats in the fridge and gives you recipies based on that, but again i think rfid tags is the only via le way to go there. Just my 2 cents

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Until supermarkets use rfid tags for all the relevant details and fridges can warn you when something needs to be used up in x days, i fail to see the point of a smart fridge other than basic ifo such as door left open, temp etc. The screen to me is pointless unless it knows whats in the fridge and gives you recipies based on that, but again i think rfid tags is the only via le way to go there. Just my 2 cents

Another forum user had an earlier version of these and said they were not good... I have no plans to buy one, but I think having a screen displaying a family calendar would be pretty cool - appointments, sports events, to-do's, etc. Of course, you could do that on ANY screen, but right in the middle of things on the fridge would be somewhat cool. Not cool enough to make me buy one, mind you, but neat.

Posted on
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Have a friend who's had one about a year, sans the family hub, and loves it.
Thinking of getting one with the hub, especially since it could potentially display CP's.
There's an Internet app that reportedly can display any web page...man did that get the wheels turning.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 am
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Unfortunately, I have one.

Jay, I think you pasted the wrong link.

https://youtu.be/779fMc8ubOo

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 am
durosity offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Have a friend who's had one about a year, sans the family hub, and loves it.
Thinking of getting one with the hub, especially since it could potentially display CP's.
There's an Internet app that reportedly can display any web page...man did that get the wheels turning.

Carl

That is literally the only thing i can think of that would make having a touchscreen built into a fridge worthwhile.

Computer says no.