Harvey

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 am
DaveL17 offline

Harvey

Matt, Jay and any others affected by Harvey -- good luck and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am
durosity offline

Re: Harvey

A giant invisible rabbit is terrorising Texans?

Seriously though be safe guys :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 am
roussell offline

We're on vacation down at the Gulf Coast in Alabama. I kinda thought we'd get a little of Harvey's action, but nothing here. Lots of people here from Louisiana talking about it though.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Unless things change, Austin (where I am) is just likely to get good bit of rain (probably like 7 inches or more over the next 4-5 days). Not much in terms of winds/tornados though probably. We are fortunately on the weak side and it's probably not coming inland much.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the concern guys! I'm up around the Dallas area, so there won't be any real problems up here. I am worried about the folks that live along the coast though.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 am
DaveL17 offline

Glad to hear it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 pm
srkinard offline

Yeah...there are a few areas here in Austin I'm a little worried about, like the Onion Creek area and all. I'm about 2 miles from where houses were ruined in the Halloween 2015 floods, fortunately I'm well out of the flood plain.

So far just a little wind and some scattered rain, but it's supposed to start raining heavy around 4am and last a few days.

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:16 pm
akimball offline

Was just vacationing for a few days in corpus christi in the gulf waters every day; several pelican filled days straight. I only wanted to mention how astonishingly warm the gulf water at Padre Island was. Almost hot. I couldn't cool off while in the water as beautiful as it was, but would wade out a ways to get wet so the wind could cool me down when i got out.

The thermal energy in those gulf waters must be off the charts...drove back to Utah just in time to travel to wyoming for the eclipse so it was recent. Stay safe.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 pm
srkinard offline

Stupid tree in the backyard just cracked at the trunk and fell against the house.
Attachments
IMG_1880 copy.jpeg
IMG_1880 copy.jpeg (489.01 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 am
durosity offline

Yikes! Well at least it didn’t fall through the roof!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:00 am
yassi offline

Hope you're all good, guys!

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 am
DaveL17 offline

srkinard wrote:
Stupid tree in the backyard just cracked at the trunk and fell against the house.

Looks from the photo that the damage may be minimal (except for the tree of course). Hope it stays that way!

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I guess I'm lucky that all the trees in our neighborhood are small (it's a new neighborhood). Did have one neighbor post a picture that one of their planted trees is leaning badly. We have a crape myrtle that I'm worried a bit about - it's pretty top heavy with blooms at the moment.

5.6" of rain here starting Friday morning.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:08 pm
srkinard offline

Quite a few trees in our subdivision have either split, or wet ground allowed then to topple over...

I just spent 2.5 hours with a ladder and chainsaw cutting the tree off the house and into pieces for disposal. It punched a small hole in one part of the roof about 3 inches in diameter, and ripped about a half dozen edge shingles off. So will need minor roof repairs.

Current problem is 2 other trees in the back yard are showing a ripple at the ground as they sway...hoping the continued rain doesn't allow them to fall.

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Current problem is 2 other trees in the back yard are showing a ripple at the ground as they sway...hoping the continued rain doesn't allow them to fall.

We have to keep an eye on a few different trees around here - with hurricanes and flooding, we know which species of trees tend to get weak and exhibit this... I wish all ours around here were live oaks, but unfortunately we still get the water oaks and such with shallow root systems. Hoping you get a bit of break and those other two stay strong (and upright!)

Other guys in Texas - good luck. We are setup to handle heavy rains, but that 31" in 30 hours or so last summer just flooded everything. From a few pictures from the coast, it brought back some unpleasant, but familiar, images -- streets flooded up to the stop lights for instance.

Good luck!