Harvey

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:40 pm
Korey offline

Re: Harvey

jay (support) wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:
I'll take -20º over 100º every day and twice on Sunday.

Nope, not me. I HATE BEING COLD. Also, snowy/icy roads are the absolute worst.

RogueProeliator wrote:
Move to Colorado.

Been there, done that. Hated it. Between the miserable snowy/icy roads (I almost got sandwiched between a school bus and a snow plow) and the incredible dryness (I spent probably 50% of my time with infections because if it - my doctor made a mint), it was an altogether miserable 2 years of my life. The one bright spot was meeting the spouse whom I took with me when I left...

RogueProeliator wrote:
Louisiana: Worst humidity/dew point as it is stagnant. Wet and muggy. Nasty.

Ditto for Alabama (where I lived in my adolescence and went to college). Love my Auburn Tigers, but I'd never live there again.

All in all, given that no place is perfect, Central Texas works for me (though as climate change makes it dryer and hotter, I become less satisfied). 100° days are why A/C was invented (and I have A/C in the seats of my car as well)... :lol:

As an ExPat Canadians (Manitoba :shock: ) I concur!

We love the DRY heat here in Southern Nevada, our biggest natural disasters are the Wind and UV!

It's HOT AF in the summer but you don't have to shovel the heat!! :lol: :lol:

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 pm
akimball offline

I’m an all temperature kinda guy, as long as it’s not hot and humid. Had early morning paper routes at ages 13 to 17... I came home with black fingers from frost bite once and learned to bike through 12” of snow wearing a sack of 140 newspapers at 4:00am. Beautiful snow blankets of Utah powder, absolute dead still silence. Learned to drive in snow and love it. The thing about snow and ice is to treat it like a young kid having fun .... running and sliding on both feet... so you get your tires in shape and every year at first snow fall, have a little fun in an empty parking lot...driving, braking, know what it takes to do donuts and where you’re going to slide. Learn to escape being stuck by using reverse and 2nd gear...this can also be practiced. Then on the highway, drive defensively as you realize that everyone else is “white-knuckling” it. :). It’s like skiing only with deadly consequences so practice and prep on controlling car on ice greatly enhances the experience. I also like to go prepared to lend assistance to stranded motorists. Love driving in the snow.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

All in all, given that no place is perfect, Central Texas works for me (though as climate change makes it dryer and hotter, I become less satisfied). 100° days are why A/C was invented (and I have A/C in the seats of my car as well)... :lol:

Yeah, same here... but the A/C run like 24/7... if we didn't have relatively cheap electricity it would be impossible to live here.

I would actually take Tennessee as well - a nice mix of all four seasons without too many extremes (have family there so have spent extended time there in every season). At least, in the central part of the state. I've been to the mountains as well and, obviously, a slightly different pattern there. I considered going to school in Knoxville (UT) for a while.