Black-Out and remote powering

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 am
MarcoGT offline

Hi all,

I am on holiday and yesterday my house had the first black-out since 3 years.
Black-out was round about 3 hrs (at least this ia what I see from logs of Synology NAS, of my Fritz!Box and from a couple of cameras).
Unfortunately after the black-out the Mini did not start automatically even if I am almost sure that is configured to reboot after a black out.
Now I am three weeks not at home without home automation. At 10PM Indigo had to close the rollers but the black-out was at 9.57PM. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I plan to build a small robot to press the power button of the Mini in order to have a backup solution.
Also a UPS would had help.

I also have the fear that the internal disk has some problem, and therefore it did not boot properly.

:(

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 am
akimball offline

On that internal disk use an SSD. Amazon will sell you a very reliable 500-GB Samsung SSD for like $170 USD's. We design and build and sell 'mission computers' for defense, tanks, planes, choppers....would never use any drive but SSD.
Last edited by akimball on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 am
MarcoGT offline

Re: Black-Out and remote powering

Well, with SSD you do not have any mechanical ORR, but file system can get corrupted as well. I also work on critical system and we had problem also with SSD with integrated buffer (2ms) to allow finish writing procedure. The solution is a UPS. Even if I do not know yet what happened to my mini

Posted on
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:43 pm
akimball offline

Yeah you should see what i go though to get power to military grade hardware. Understand the fun.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 am
MarcoGT offline

We are on the same boat :D

Posted on
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 am
johnpolasek offline

So buy more smaller drives and use one of the fault tolerant RAID variants with a hot spare.

Posted on
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 am
kw123 offline

An issue if you use ups to gracefully shutdown your mac. It does not restart if the power comes back. You manually have to press the power button. One way around this is a scheduled reboot that you move forward every 15 minutes to e.g. 1 hour a head. Then when you have a short power failure it will restart. Or you set the reboot to 5 hours ahead then it's more likely that you will be out of the window if power down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am
roussell offline

If you have Indigo or some other watchdog-style process monitor power and upon power-loss run a "shutdown -u" command, AND ALSO make sure your UPS shuts down within 5 minutes after running that command, it should satisfy the requirements of a "dirty shutdown" and restart after power is applied, in theory at least. I haven't tested it...

snippet from "man shutdown"
Code: Select all
SYNOPSIS
     shutdown [-] [-h [-u] | -r | -s | -k] [-o [-n]] time
              [warning-message ...]

-u      The system is halted up until the point of removing system power,
             but waits before removing power for 5 minutes so that an external
             UPS (uninterruptible power supply) can forcibly remove power.
             This simulates a dirty shutdown to permit a later automatic power
             on. OS X uses this mode automatically with supported UPSs in
             emergency shutdowns.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 pm
kw123 offline

That's interesting have to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:04 am
roquej offline

This has always been a concern for me. Our Indigo is on a UPS but after a shutdown, how do you make the server power back-up.? As we are in South Florida, this will happen eventually...

Now, what would be the mechanism to issue that Shutdown command? If is script, could someone provide a sample of how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

JP

Posted on
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 am
MarcoGT offline

So, the problem was that the option "switch on after power interrupt" (or something similar) was not checked, therefore it stayed off :(

Never had a power interrupt in two and half years. :D

Posted on
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm
MarcoGT offline

Not fully related to this thread but Saturday night I could not connect to Indigo Server.
So I tried to connect to the MacMini unsing Screen Sharing, no success.

I connected the Mini to the TV, nothing, rebooted...and after some seconds the Mini shut down itself; I was able to restore the OS using Internet and to migrate everything using TimeMachine (done on my NAS, it was the first time that I did it via network, I did it a few times but only via USB).

Everything worked fine; not yet had time to investigate what happened, but I fear that the disk as some problems because before doing a reinstall I could not even repair the disk :( (error code 8)

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 am
MarcoGT offline

roquej wrote:
This has always been a concern for me. Our Indigo is on a UPS but after a shutdown, how do you make the server power back-up.? As we are in South Florida, this will happen eventually...

Now, what would be the mechanism to issue that Shutdown command? If is script, could someone provide a sample of how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

JP

Yeah, that would be interesting :)

Page 1 of 1