Sal Soghoian Departs Apple

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 am
DaveL17 offline

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/1 ... l-soghoian

I have to admit that this doesn't sound promising.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:52 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Sal Soghoian Departs Apple

I have to admit that this doesn't sound promising.

I'm not normally one to read too much into things... but I have to agree that sounds a bit ominous. Doesn't mean all those technologies are going away, but sure sounds like enough are dying or on life support to not justify as many resources.

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, we've had anecdotal evidence that AppleScript has been neglected for quite a long time - see the -600 bug. And there are other things as well.

We switched to Python for a long list of reasons, one of which is that should Apple decide to stop including it we can include it since it's open source.

This, unfortunately, doesn't surprise me.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:21 am
johnpolasek offline

And are you getting ready to switch Indigo to a generic Linux platform if Apple decides OSX is too much trouble to maintain, or do we all have to start stockpiling minis against the evil day that they stop building anything but watches and phones?

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't see that happening any time soon, but let's just say we have plans (and experimental alphas) that limit our dependency on technology we cannot control.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 am
roussell offline

johnpolasek wrote:
And are you getting ready to switch Indigo to a generic Linux platform if Apple decides OSX is too much trouble to maintain, or do we all have to start stockpiling minis against the evil day that they stop building anything but watches and phones?

Linux binaries would be fantastic, even if it weren't Linux, but instead a flavor of BSD since that's closer to Mac Unix, and it's licensing is more favorable for a commercial entity not wishing to release source (just please don't use Mono or Java!), but I imagine there are many many hurdles to clear before that could happen. I now have two Indigo-dedicated (but not yet running) mini's as well as a viable method for installing MACOS on a virtual, so I should be set for years, even if Apple stopped making Macs today. Hopefully by that time, Matt and Jay will have written a version of Indigo for the Apple TV 9 so we just need to hold out until then!

Terry

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:24 am
durosity offline

matt (support) wrote:
I don't see that happening any time soon, but let's just say we have plans (and experimental alphas) that limit our dependency on technology we cannot control.

You're going to buy the Mac platform from Apple and restore it to its former glory? I knew i7 would be a success but I had no idea you were both so extremely filthy rich from it. That'd explain the pure diamond sculpture Jay just installed in our porch.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:06 pm
Different Computers offline

roussell wrote:
johnpolasek wrote:
(just please don't use Mono or Java!)

I second and third the "no java" idea. It would be one of the few things I can imagine that otherwise sane devs would do that would drive me away from Indigo.

Ok, silverlight would too.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:
I second and third the "no java" idea. It would be one of the few things I can imagine that otherwise sane devs would do that would drive me away from Indigo.

How about Ada... or better yet ((((((()Lisp)))))))?

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:15 pm
roussell offline

johnpolasek wrote:

How about Ada... or better yet ((((((()Lisp)))))))?

Heh, I ran Misterhouse for YEARS and Perl isn't much better. That seems like forever ago, but I just checked and amazingly, it's still around and active. Perl... Write once, read never coding!!!

Terry

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:40 pm
roussell offline

Sadly, Objective C is most-like Java in terms of programming practices -to me at least- and would probably represent the least amount of re-learning for the guys. I do like that it's portable and if you build around the OpenJDK distribution versus Oracle's Java, you don't have to worry about being squashed by a big corporate fist. But... it's still Java. I have 130 Java Devs here at work and the struggle is most definitely real...

If it were me, and I was looking long-term and the prospect of changing platforms one day. I'd might look toward a custom appliance-style distribution. A custom-built ISO, containing OS, and Indigo binaries, along with needed libraries and proper supported versions of dependent programs. For portability's sake, I'd probably offer ARM and Intel64 versions to cater to the virtual, conventional, and low-power compute crowds. The ISO would install to bare metal (or virtual) just as if one were installing an operating system or similar appliance (FreeNAS, PFSense, etc.). This would allow tighter control of the binaries and ensure compatibility without working about improperly linked libraries or incompatible versions of dependent applications. This would also pave the way to offer some custom hardware, such as an entry level RaspberryPi-style device, and a more powerful mini-pc for advanced configs, if one wanted... Either way -once converted- the dev and support side would be simplified because ver x of the application would be compatible with only the included version of the OS and libraries. No need to ensure compatibility for previous versions of the OS.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 am
DaveL17 offline

Apparently, Apple is abandoning routers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am
autolog offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Apparently, Apple is abandoning routers too.

Link :?: :)

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:41 am
RogueProeliator offline

Link :?: :)

It has been all over the news sites today that Apple has re-assigned employees from the router products over to more (presumably) financially healthy consumer products. Personally I never found the Apple routers all that enticing so doesn't bother me all that much.

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am
DaveL17 offline