Data Migration Software

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:00 am
DaveL17 offline

Data Migration Software

Does anyone have a product they recommend for data migration?

I'm moving large amounts of data from one NAS to another, and doing this one folder at a time is proving to be a ginormous pain. What I'm looking for is something where I can select source and destination folders and have the software:

1. copy the data from A to B,
2. checksum the data to ensure that it copied correctly, and
3. remove the data from A.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:02 am
Shutter offline

Re: Data Migration Software

Carbon Copy Cloner
SuperDuper
ChronoSync

These 3 are the most well known applications for this sort of thing. Used 2 of them back in the day, but not in a long time.

As my colleague keeps telling me,"you can use there Terminal", but as I keep telling him, "I'm an old school Mac user, I don't use the freaking Terminal".

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 am
DaveL17 offline

Shutter - thanks for this. I've heard of the first two (I use CrashPlan) but I assumed they were for backups and not necessarily migration.

I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 am
Shutter offline

I use CrashPlan as well - don't you just wish they would hurry up and bring out a native Mac client?

Anyway, Carbon Copy Cloner was one of the first to allow you to make a clone of one drive to another, and to also bless the system to make it bootable. Over the years it's added more backup features, which I think they all have. Pretty sure it uses rsync, which you can invoke via the command line, but it's also probably doing Mac specific things to make the drive bootable, but it doesn't sound like that matters to you. The others are probably using rsync in the background as well.

Which NAS are you using? Doesn't it have a migration feature?

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:41 am
DaveL17 offline

I've been pretty happy with CrashPlan overall; my biggest headache is that it doesn't always wake up a sleeping NAS to make a backup of a client. For example, with my MacBook, I have to browse to the backup folder to invoke the backup process.

Bootable doesn't matter. I'm moving files from a Drobo 2 (USB) to a Drobo 5N and alas, you can't just pop the drives out of one and put them in the other. So I'm forced to move the stuff some other way. Free up some space, pop out a drive, format it, pop it in the 5N. Rinse and repeat. One folder of--I don't know, say 22 high def MKV files--can take upwards of an hour. I can't even begin to stomach what it will be like to move my iTunes library. I will also have a look at rsync. I'm loathe to buy a product that will gather dust after this operation is over, but willing to do it if there's not a viable alternative! :D

Dave

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am
FlyingDiver offline

I usually use ChronoSync for those kind of data migrations. I also use it to sync some directories between my local system and my NAS. Works well. But I admit I've never tried to have it delete the source after completing the move.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1