How reliable are push notifications for you ?

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:50 am
PeteVis offline

How reliable are push notifications for you ?

I have been trying different options for push notifications, not only with Indigo, but with SecuritySpy as well, and I have found that my push notifications are not very reliable at all.

Currently I am using the pushover plugin (which is really nice btw), but often (maybe 30% of the time), notifications arrive with a significant delay... sometimes up to 10 minutes after the fact.
On a few occasions they did not arrive at all.

Now with pushover, I can see the exact time when a notification has been sent to my device, so what I already suspected has now been confirmed.

This has nothing to do with Indigo or Pushover, since I have the same problem with SecuritySpy and it's native notification system.

I'm not really sure how the push notification system works, but I suspect all notifications need to be relayed through apple servers ? If that is the case, do all notifications end up in a qeue waiting to be delivered globally ?

What are the experiences here, do you have reliable push notifications ?

Posted on
Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:25 pm
durosity offline

Re: How reliable are push notifications for you ?

I'd say mine are about 98% reliable (no scientific measurement).. I get quite a few for things like the door bell being pressed, my alarm going into trouble mode (it's rather broken) and various others bits and bobs almost always appear immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Yes, all notifications (to iOS devices) get routed through the APN (Apple Push Notification) servers. How often the APN servers actually contact the iOS device to deliver pending notifications is not well defined.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... rvice.html

The problem with both the current notification portals (PushOver and Prowl) is that only that service knows of any delivery failures. I don't think either service provides a way to get that status back to the original sender.
Last edited by FlyingDiver on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 pm
mlooss offline

I have found it to be very reliable, never really noticed any big delays, except when I have to use the PushOver e-mail gateway, but that is expected since mail introduces delays/queuing or SMTP server are just busy.

When my garage door operates, I get the notification almost instantly.

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am
PeteVis offline

Thanks for all the replies.
Must be something funky with my devices then. I sometimes think the delays happen when my Phone switches from cell to wifi, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.

Page 1 of 1