Friendly reminder to BACKUP!! (success story)

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Friendly reminder to BACKUP!! (success story)

You've all heard it 1000 times but it bears repeating for anyone on the fence or new users. Back up your indigo files, and your entire hard drive while you're at it!

As you may have guessed, I recently had the misfortune of a hard drive failure on our Mac Mini that runs our Indigo server. Luckily I have had a decent backup routine and didn't lose a single thing. Even still, it is scary to think of losing everything to a hardware failure like this, so I'm going to have an even more robust backup scheme going forward. I've been using SuperDuper! by "Shirt Pocket" for years (since before I used Indigo), and love it, I am just going to set up automatic backups now as opposed to doing it manually when I remember.

Don't lose your smart house! Restoring from a failure like this can take half of a day+ if you have backups and do everything right. If you don't, you could be at the whim of the time it takes to ship new hardware and you may never recover the things you lost.

/PSA :lol:

Posted on
Tue May 12, 2015 8:11 am
kw123 offline

Re: Friendly reminder to BACKUP!! (success story)

AND you should test your backup.. if it is actually usable = reboot using the backup volume

Posted on
Tue May 12, 2015 10:19 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

Re: Friendly reminder to BACKUP!! (success story)

kw123 wrote:
AND you should test your backup.. if it is actually usable = reboot using the backup volume

+1

Page 1 of 1