push vs. iMessage notificaitons

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:54 am
WagnerOne offline

push vs. iMessage notificaitons

Hi,

I use the ATT email->SMS gateway for all my alerts currently and have a goal to move to either some flavor (Prowl, Pushover, etc.) of push notifications OR using an Applescript method I've seen around the forums here to send my Indigo alerts via Apple Messages.

I've been leaning toward Messages, but the Push Notification services already have plug-ins developed by cool folks around here, which means it'll be easier on me. :)

My thinking on Messages over Push is I'd be using a native Apple service and not relying on (or paying for? can't recall if Prowl/Pushover have fees) a 3rd party application.

Besides a possible failure with the Prowl/Pushover service, it would seem there is possibly less latency by using Messages (though my theory there is merely an educated guess). It's also encrypted by default, has serious muscle/reliability behind the scenes, and the notifications are conveniently corralled with all my other txt/SMS/Messages in a single iOS (and Mac) app.

Where is the Messages plug-in? :D

Thanks for any feedback,
Mike

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: push vs. iMessage notifications

There's no public API for Messages, so there's no way to write a plugin in Python for it. The Applescript works because it's using the Messages app. While you could probably write a plugin that would call the same Applescript, I don't see any point.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:13 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: push vs. iMessage notificaitons

Joe's new twitter plugin for the win :lol:

My philosophy with notifications from Indigo is that if it's working for me right now then I don't see the need to change unless the new method gives me a lot more to work with (and get geeky with). If the email to SMS gateway works for you now, what is making you want to change (or maybe it's not working and that's why you want to change...).

I really like the current hack for the Google Voice, it works for me quite well and I get notifications pretty much instantly but also gives me the flexibility to send text messages to my house instead of using the Indigo Touch client - I can tell Siri to "send message to home to turn on the furnace" and, presto, it's done.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm
WagnerOne offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
My philosophy with notifications from Indigo is that if it's working for me right now then I don't see the need to change unless the new method gives me a lot more to work with (and get geeky with). If the email to SMS gateway works for you now, what is making you want to change (or maybe it's not working and that's why you want to change...).

Good philosophy and I tend to follow that myself. I have two reasons to switch away from SMS. While it doesn't happen regularly, I get delayed messages. My primary reason, however, is due to the fact I have only 1500 monthly SMS messages in my phone plan. This wasn't a problem in the past, but I've made a few friends lately with non-Apple phones and our txts outside of Messages pushed past my 1500 limit and I incurred overage fees.

Mike

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:38 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That's a good way to get carpal tunnel syndrome :P

I hadn't considered the SMS limit, I don't have on on my plan so it doesn't occur to me that the antiquated "you can only SMS X number of times" still even exists out there! Of course if airlines can charge you to take a bag on a plane, I guess cell companies can rape you over this stuff too!

I think every notification option is going to have a drawback. My best performance has been SMS but I can see why that might not be an option for you. Tongue in cheek aside, Joe's Twitter plug-in might be a good option for you outside of using the Push plugins. I think you will have minor issues no matter what direction you take, but hopefully you won't get big bills to go with it.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 pm
WagnerOne offline

My house may be sending too many alerts too. 8)

I have an old plan from ATT with unlimited data which I have kept since iPhone 1. I am loath to give it up because of the data plan and ATT still has no unlimited plans that I'm aware of.

The SMS limit is a holdover from the aged plan too.

Mike

Posted on
Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:10 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I was a holder-on for the unlimited plan until I found out how restrictive it was compared to the newer "limited" plans. I held mine until the iPhone 6, now I get MUCH faster speeds and more download than I can use most months. After 1GB of data they throttle you down a LOT.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am
WagnerOne offline

Interesting. So I understand you correctly, do you mean AT&T throttles the "unlimited" plan data consumption after 1GB or the "limited" ones (or both)? I guess I've never seen any degradation of data service.

Looks like my average monthly use is 2400 MB with several peaks up to the 4200 MB per month range.

Mike

Posted on
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:10 pm
Seeker offline

On the topic of bandwidth, I was on ATT unlimited (throttled at 5gb I think) plan for years.

last fall, I switched to Cricket. $50 tax included for 20GB and unlimited talk/text.

Cricket is owned by ATT now, I use their LTE towers, and the only thing I noticed was the name "cricket" instead of ATT on the screen plus $50/mo more in my bank account. Coverage is ATT.

Downsides are no subsidies (I buy my phones outright) and for multiple phones the discounts may be better on the big-name plans.

Posted on
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:17 pm
markf424 offline

I struggled with this issue and decided to move to Pushover. In my view, it's a huge improvement over anything SMS based, or even iMessages. The nice thing about Pushover is that you can select the sound for the alert (if any), the devices it pushes, the content it pushes, etc. I have a license for iOS, which includes my wife's phone, my phone, and my iPad, as well as my Mac. Your automation notifications deserve a better container than the iMessages interface. Give it a try.

Page 1 of 1