Indigo Users' Matter Thread

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:08 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Indigo Users' Matter Thread

elf55 wrote:
I have a 10G fiber Ethernet connection between buildings, but z-wave doesn't have a proxy server/protocol (that I know of) where I can span the inter-building gap over the Ethernet link.

I have a vague and possibly faulty recollection of someone here in the forums who solved this problem by having a Vera slaved to Indigo in his remote building. The Vera did no logic, just relayed commands sent by Indigo to it.

Might have been something besides a Vera.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:14 am
DaveL17 offline

This is something that Autolog's Hubitat Bridge plugin can do as well.

https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/252/

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:50 pm
elf55 offline

Autolog's Hubitat Bridge plugin can do

the Habitat bridge hack sounds interesting and looks like it is low effort besides requiring a US $100 hub. But it also shows that to span a Z-wave network you need an application level gateway and need to associate the remote z-wave devices to that application (i.e. Habitat). A nice hack, but not elegant. You would never design something that way from scratch.

I'm tempted to give it a try since it also provides a bridge to Zigbee. it appears that you can do the same thing with a HomeAssistant server and the HassBridge plugin and possible others.

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:31 am
7rdr7 offline

Back to the original post subject. Matter is now supported in iOS/tvOS/16.1. Devices will start to ship in November. Does Indigo now have a roadmap for the inclusion of Matter? Jay did a great roadmap blog post back in 12/20. Are there any plans for an update?

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Here's what we've already said. We'll continue to evaluate as devices come to market. At the moment there are several things that we're trying to wrap up that take priority, but we are watching closely.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:06 pm
etiennetalbot offline

The way I see it, Indigo should also be some kind of Matter bridge. It is somehow inevitable that Google, Apple, Amazon, and the likes will eventually dominate the home automation world. As time passes, their systems will support more and more complex automation, just like our dear Indigo.

It seems to me at least that the best way Indigo could survive and stay relevant is as some sort of Matter bridge for our Insteon and Z-Wave devices. Or at least it should give the possibility. Maybe that's a plugin thing though.

It should also have the possibility to be the other way around and just support Matter devices. I guess that's what most current users would want. I want both, honestly.

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:42 pm
DaveL17 offline

etiennetalbot wrote:
As time passes, their systems will support more and more complex automation, just like our dear Indigo.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm not sure I agree with this bit. I think Google, Amazon and Apple will focus on designing their products for the widest possible appeal and that means simplicity. Of course, some of the complexity can be made "invisible" to users through voice recognition -- "Alexa, turn my porch lights on every day at 10 minutes past sunset and off at 10 minutes before dawn." would be simple for them to accomplish. But I think *complex* automation is a ways off for the vast majority of humans. Remember VCR clocks? Indigo's not competing for my Mother in Law. :)

I think the granularity and extensibility that Indigo already provides exceeds anything available in the main stream now and for a very long time to come (IMHO).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

etiennetalbot wrote:
The way I see it, Indigo should also be some kind of Matter bridge.

Agreed. Indigo should be able to control Matter devices, but (hopefully) would also be able to present other devices (Insteon, Z-Wave, plugin, etc) as devices on the Matter network.

But, we first need to gauge availability/adoption. We are too tiny to expend resources on something that is still unproven in the market.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:05 pm
7rdr7 offline

All good points. When Apple/Google/Amazon come out with a more sophisticated HA solution, my guess is that it will be an AI/ML driven architecture rather than a scripted/template model like Indigo. That evolution will likely take a few years, so I agree that a Matter bridge will be required for any current or legacy protocols. With Apple, Amazon, Google, SiLabs (z-wave), and others converging on Matter, it’s not if, but when, and the standard was ratified this month. Matter is a huge win for the device manufacturers currently trying to support multiple protocols , and that will drive the change more than anything else.
Jay, I feel for the limited resources and only so many bets to make….

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:14 am
jltnol offline

Like everyone, I've read with interest all the latest news concerning Matter and Thread. Just read today that Phillips will be upgrading their Hue system(or at least parts of it) to be compatible with the new protocol.

As I understand it, Thread is the sinew that connects all the devices together, and runs over IP, but may include Bluetooth in some instances. This seems like an improvement over both Z-Wave and certainly the Insteon communication standards, not to mention the ease of adding WiFi access points if/when/where needed.

Again, as I understand it, Matter is the spec that will allow all theses different devices to communicate with each other. I'm assuming at some point in the system, some software will be needed to control all these devices, and that may require some hardware to connect and control these devices as well.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but short of some special hardware, might it be possible for Indigo to develop a Matter/Thread plugin to communicate and control those devices? (No doubt a huge task) If true, I can easily see that Indigo Plugin development would only be needed for legacy devices... and God knows I've got a ton of them... but new devices would work thru the Matter/Thread plugin and eco system. ALL of my Indigo Devices will be "legacy" soon enough, and I doubt any/many of them will be able to to be upgraded to Thread/Matter, just continuing my dependance on Indigo for my happy automated life!

In the end, I've always maintained that Indigo is a very mature program.... pretty much totally bug free, very well "thought out", extremly easy for novices to use, and deep enough for extreme customization for more advanced users. All this stability and ease of use doesn't happen overnight, so I wouldn't expect anyone to overtake Indigo anytime soon. I look at Apple's HomeKit, and scoff at what I consider the lack of ability. Sure, some elementary automation is possible, but I just don't see HomeKit (or any other likewise system) ever gaining the available complexities that Indigo has now.

I think the future is bright!

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:14 am
rehafer offline

I’ve been using some Thread devices with HomeKit for a while (as well as HomeBridging ~6 doz Indigo devices). Thread is a communication protocol that work on a similar frequency to WiFi and Zigbee, but is different and distinct. Thread devices speak to each other on their self generated mesh network; to interface with them you need a “Border Router” that speaks Thread and LAN. To control and receive data from Thread devices, Indigo would have to communicate with a border router. I imagine that’s doable but not at my skill level.
Also, not all Matter devices will use Thread, WiFi is also supported. Thread is optimized of rapid transmission of small amounts of data at high speeds; great for turning on a switch, useless for streaming video (which isn’t part of the Matter standards yet).

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:19 am
FlyingDiver online

Thread is IP based, but not Wifi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(network_protocol)

Matter is the top level protocol, and can run over Wifi, Ethernet, Thread, or (probably, eventually) anything else that supports IP based communication.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:17 pm
jltnol offline

to interface with them you need a “Border Router” that speaks Thread and LAN

Got it.

Still, I think this is good news.

And as I'm thinking this thru, it has just occurred to me that the initial spec for all of this may not be nearly as robust and full featured as I'm expecting.

Posted on
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:09 am
pspottswood offline

Any updates on support for Matter? I would really like indigo to be my primary app for automation of all of my products.

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We're continuing to monitor.

Jay (Indigo Support)