Indigo Users' Matter Thread

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2022 10:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Indigo Users' Matter Thread

The only downside to these if you ask me is that it might be hard to find a filament that's a perfect match for the switch color.

Sandpaper, 3d print finishing epoxy, and spray paint do wonders...

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 7:32 am
norcoscia offline

Yes the jumbo size would let you build so many more things - like you said great new features too - but it is a ton of money, maybe if I win the lottery :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 10:28 am
autolog offline

+1 for the Prusa i3 MK3S (or Prusa i3 MK3S+ as it is now).

More expensive than some others but flawless printing, in my experience.

I built mine from the kit which was easy to do with some of the best assembly instructions I have ever used! :)

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 12:48 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Yes the jumbo size would let you build so many more things - like you said great new features too - but it is a ton of money, maybe if I win the lottery

That's why you pre-arrange a buyer for your existing i3 Mk3S along with enclosure and MMU2. Makes it somewhat affordable. :-) Helps to have people you know whose (non-Prusa) just died and want to upgrade...

I built mine from the kit which was easy to do with some of the best assembly instructions I have ever used!

HIGHLY recommend this as well, really lets you learn the printer and understand it (and thus any required troubleshooting) better. Also, since they offer upgrades to almost every new version they come up with, having assembled it originally helps in doing the upgrades.

Adam

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 12:59 pm
norcoscia offline

Just noticed this - seems like a good knowledge base - I might check into it more - lots to know when messing with the world of 3D printing…

Welcome to Prusa Academy: online courses on various 3D printing related topics - Original Prusa 3D Printers

https://blog.prusa3d.com/welcome-to-pru ... ics_67861/

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 2:20 pm
dduff617 offline

rehafer wrote:
Of course, we won’t see any actual product announcements until the final, version 1.0, Matter standard is published.

I understand the general thinking, however I am seeing some companies already making announcements (admittedly some of them a bit soft on details) about future Thread and Matter compatibility of current and future products.

Examples:
  • Amazon has already made announcements about which of their Alexa products will have future Matter support.
  • Apple has made several public commitments to add Matter support to their line of Homekit framework across multiple platforms.
  • Aqara has announced which of their current line of hubs will add Matter support.
  • Belkin said their WeMo line will support Matter
  • Lots of router and WiFi companies are announcing that their products will act as Thread border routers and thus will "support' Matter.
  • Eve has already announced Matter support for both existing and future products.
  • GE announced Matter support for their Cync line of products.
  • Nanoleaf announced future Matter support via upgrade for several existing products.
  • Philips says their existing Hue Bridge will be upgraded to provide Matter support for their entire current and future Hue product line.
  • etc....

So i'm just saying, it's not too early for players to start making public statements about their plans. Matter has been around a few years now.

Will some of the above examples turn out to be vaporware? Undoubtedly. Could the entire Matter initiative go down in flames? It's possible, but I think unlikely. In any case does that mean one should just ignore what's going on until some arbitrary 1.0-release date? I don't think so (and that's why I started this thread). I personally see Matter as already influencing my decisions on things like what to buy and how to shape my HA architecture, including the future role of Indigo in my system.

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 4:49 pm
norcoscia offline

I hope the matter standard makes home automation better - but I’ll bet it will take a long time and that is likely the best case scenario .

For many years I worked on a complex communications system — the specifications ran into thousands of pages. It was implemented by many companies here in the US and also many international companies in other nations.

With a complex specification (even after many years) different organizations interpreted the language of the specification differently and that led to implementation differences which in turn led to interoperability problems (some still exist today) - and I’m sure that will happen with matter to some extent. That will translate into a long process of specification updates to clarify the language and leave initial adopters in a crappy place for bad experiences (at best) to long term interoperability issues that go unfixed.

So, long story short, I have my fingers crossed but I don’t want to spend too much time or money to be an early user who feels the growing pains - just more of my two cents from an experienced very old fart :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 8:43 am
rehafer offline

I believe that the biggest winners with Matter will be device manufacturers that will only have to certify for one standard to sell to multiple ecosystems. Related to that is buyers who will have bigger selections if they use Matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:04 pm
nathanw offline

I read up on Matter a bit (found a draft spec) and it reads like USB (lots of endpoints and descriptors) (or maybe Zigbee?) over IPv6 over wifi, with an option for bridges that translate the messages over to Thread/802.15.4. It's not any more inherently cloud than, say, Z-Wave. From Indigo's point of view it would be Just Another Protocol, and without requiring additional hardware to deal with at least the wifi devices.

Posted on
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 pm
elf55 offline

I'm an electrical engineer with a background in communications, but I'm also a hesitant early adopter. Especially regarding anything that I need to maintain and family members rely on. I guess I've been down that trail a few too many times to get excited about the latest and greatest any more. However, that said, I am very excited about Matter/Thread and it's implications for Domotics and possibly industrial controls. I say this after reading the current draft documents and having used Insteon and migrated to Z-wave over the past 15 years.

In short, I'm disappointed in z-wave for many of the reasons already mentioned. But especially variations by manufacturers in adoption and feature inclusion. I'm running two houses with Innoveli, Zooz, Aeotec, Kwicset, and Homeseer. So I'm not just sour on one particular brand. The principal issues I have are:

1. z-wave range - one of my neighborhoods is quite noise in terms of background RF and this definitely affects devices at the periphery, even with various configurations of Aeotec repeaters and wired z-wave devices.

2. Firmware updates - I have downloaded the Silicon Labs Simplicity tools and used them to update firmware in z-wave devices, but this is typically a hit or miss operations.

3. Routing - It's pretty primative and certainly not adaptive. This is the 21st century. We shouldn't have to live with this.

4. Single point of failure - Practically speaking, a failed z-wave controller is your worst nightmare. You can use Simplicity to back it up and restore, but this is also hit or miss and a huge inconvenience. Again, 21st century ...

I will be an early adopter of Matter/Thread. It still could be bungled, but it has large upsides and all the substantial players in the space are saluting it. Unfortunately, while Silicon Labs stands to profit from Thread radios, they didn't open up z-wave soon enough stem the Matter wave that is coming.

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:25 am
norcoscia offline

Agree 100% - all good points - it will take time for everyone to work out unexpected matter issues and there will be implementation hiccups but I’m hoping it will be better than z-wave in the end. Z-wave was fresh 20 years ago - but today it feels like an old buggy whip.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am
jefftr66 offline

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:39 pm
jltnol offline

Not that this will help with your setup, but I long ago decided to have Indigo Optimize the Z-Wave network nightly. And while I have devices in a separate building about 35' away from the main house, they work very reliably for me.

Posted on
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:11 pm
elf55 offline

decided to have Indigo Optimize the Z-Wave network nightly

Thanks for the advice. I had already tried that. What I found is that if you are in a place with lots of interference, you have to be very careful about re-optimizing. If communication with a critical linking node fails, you can wind up severing your mesh. Z-wave isn't very good at alternate routes (if they even exist) and in the morning you can wind up with no route to a device. I have a garage that is 35 feet from my house and z-wave transmissions often fail between them. I have a 10G fiber Ethernet connection between buildings, but z-wave doesn't have a proxy server/protocol (that I know of) where I can span the inter-building gap over the Ethernet link. Matter solves this problem at the expense of longer (IP based) messages, but with a high speed network in the path, there wouldn't be a latency problem.

I'm expecting problems with a new protocol and radios, but at least there is a more capable framework to use. I think most people on this forum are not expecting plug and play operation right off the bat. HomeKit gives you that with huge limitations, but Matter at least solves the network problem in a predictable and scaleable manner.

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:15 pm
DaveL17 offline

Here's another article.

Matter 1.0 Standard Officially Released
Connectivity Standards Alliance unveils the Matter 1.0 standard and certification program for smart home wireless connectivity.

https://www.cepro.com/news/matter-1-0-s ... -released/

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]