PID Tuning my wife…

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:37 pm
mundmc offline

PID Tuning my wife…

Pitching an idea here: my current wife tends to “overcorrect” when she thinks the house is too hot or too cold. This is typically by selecting a setpoint for the temperature that is irrationally, warmer or colder than her desired setpoint. This break down tends to be attributable to her transient emotional reasoning that it will get hotter or colder. “faster” if she overcompensates for the set point.

I, being a dutiful husband and tinkerer, have devised a plan to have large, smash ball, brightly colored blue and red buttons that she can smash repeatedly when she is displeased with the temperature.

I can measure of the force with which she hates them with a load sensor, and obviously the number of times she hates them can easily be measured.

Granted, the actual temperature setpoint is an unknown, so the process variable will really just be an absence of smashing buttons. I’ve considered a profanity detector as well.

Thoughts and feedback welcome :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: PID Tuning my wife…

That's amazing. If you implement it, however, she may not be your current wife for long.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:52 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Arrange to increase the fan speed in proportion to the button mashing, then slowly reduce it

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:56 am
MartinG offline

I'd be fearful of unstable behaviour.

Have you considered relying on the placebo effect? ie adjust the display, but not the actual set point?

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:31 am
Different Computers offline

mundmc wrote:
I’ve considered a profanity detector as well.)

I built an action group for my wife called, literally, "DAMMIT!" She taps it when she needs to complain about something. Makes it easy to find where in the logs her problem with the system happened.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.30.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.30.02 AM.png (12.35 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:04 pm
Grognard offline

I think Joe's approach might actually work pretty well. I wish I had thought of something like this before the kids went off to college!

Also, I'm totally stealing the "DAMNIT" logging idea.

This community is the best. Practical suggestions AND humor!

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 pm
mundmc offline

Different Computers wrote:
mundmc wrote:
I’ve considered a profanity detector as well.)

I built an action group for my wife called, literally, "DAMMIT!" She taps it when she needs to complain about something. Makes it easy to find where in the logs her problem with the system happened.

Genius! Doing this!

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 pm
mundmc offline

MartinG wrote:

Have you considered relying on the placebo effect? ie adjust the display, but not the actual set point?

Lol- the modern implementation of gaslighting!

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:05 am
MartinG offline

mundmc wrote:
MartinG wrote:

Well... no. There's a huge difference in intent. Utilising the placebo effect (as a low pass filter) to make someone's life better is a different thing entirely.

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 am
mundmc offline

MartinG wrote:
mundmc wrote:
MartinG wrote:

Well... no. There's a huge difference in intent. Utilising the placebo effect (as a low pass filter) to make someone's life better is a different thing entirely.
Very good point

Page 1 of 1