headless MAC remote access slow

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 am
kw123 offline

All on yosemite 10.10.5
my setup is
mac mini with indigo no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse
-MacBook Pro remote stuff
-MacPro day to day programming, 2 monitors etc

Here the problem:
when I enable spotlight on the MACPRO the browsing access to the MAC mini is VERY slow. When disabled it is very fast.

I found some discussion on the web( e.g.: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/164443/does-os-x-yosemite-support-spotlight-on-network-drives), but have not been able to really exclude the MAC-MINI from the indexing properly

Has anyone experience with this?

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: headless MAC remote access slow

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to one of the more general forums since the question is only tangentially related to Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:02 pm
roussell offline

If the remote Mac doesn't detect a monitor, it will not use hardware acceleration for the RD sessions. Of course if not using hardware acceleration, the CPU has to process the RD session, in addition to indexing as well as everything else. If you have an extra monitor, try plugging it into the remote mac, restarting (just to be sure) and then connecting to an RD session with it attached to see if the speed improves. In my setup (2008ish C2D mini running Mavericks) it made the difference between irritating and near-local speed. I ended up making a dummy monitor dongle to plug into the mini to fool it into thinking there's a monitor connected.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:15 pm
DU Lou offline

Check this gizmo out...
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/10/new ... -mac-mini/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 pm
kw123 offline

Had that (similar one) and the screen sharing worked perfectly also at high res.

The good news: now after some days the performance issues have resolved themselves .. may be an indexing thing although I excluded the remote MAC from being spotlight-indexed..

Only thing left is: forklift does not open files to edit (in e.g. textedit / text wrangler) when browsing on the remote MAC in one direction, in the other direction it does fine... maybe I just wait 3 more days and then it works also.. Filer works ok.

Karl

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:49 am
kw123 offline

if you run into a slow remote FILER browsing on headless MAC try this:

on remote (headless MAC) :
disable find my mac
disable "connect to my mac" and re-enable, then restart both macs (remote and the one you are working on)

that seemed to have fixed my issue

Karl

Page 1 of 1