Is this the end of Gmail for Home Automation?

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:45 pm
Kzintar offline

Re: Is this the end of Gmail for Home Automation?

With Gmail no longer accepting/supporting username & password authentication I created a gmail app specific password and attempted to use it with Email+. No success; both Email+ reports "Failure" with both IMAP & SMTP.

Given Joe's comment about gmail IMAP and Joe & Jay's comments about iCloud working, I followed the instructions in Apple's SMTP & IMAP article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

and created an "App Specific Password".

I then reconfigured Email+ to use a me.com account (with the app specific password).

1. Email+ IMAP reports "Success" and the log shows an authentication failure
2. Email+ SMTP reports "failure"

I've double and triple checked that the SMTP settings are correct (per the instructions in HT202304). I've also tried both SSL and StartTLS, but get the same results.

Per HT202304:

> SMTP information for the outgoing mail server
> Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
> SSL Required: Yes
> If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
> Port: 587
> SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
> Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
> Password: Use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong with my Email+ SMTP configuration that's causing the failure?

Thanks,

K.

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 pm
Kzintar offline

minor typo worth correcting:

> 1. Email+ IMAP reports "Success" and the log shows an authentication failure
> 2. Email+ SMTP reports "Failure"

That should have been:

1. Email+ IMAP reports "Success"
2. Email+ SMTP reports "Failure" and the log shows an authentication failure

Thanks,

K.

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:11 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I can only say that iCloud has worked for me in the past. I do not currently have any iCloud devices configured. I will try them when I get a chance.

I'm using providers that don't do the app-specific-password thing. I use RackSpace for all my real emails, and I use GMX for IoT stuff.

joe

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:17 pm
Kzintar offline

Thanks for the confirmation that you've previously been successful with iCloud. I'm more certain than ever that the problem is that I have something wrong with my Email+ SMTP configuration.

I'll keep experimenting!

Thanks,

K.

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:26 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Kzintar wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation that you've previously been successful with iCloud. I'm more certain than ever that the problem is that I have something wrong with my Email+ SMTP configuration.

I'll keep experimenting!

Thanks,

K.

Not Necessarily. Apple could have changed something.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I can confirm that iCloud is still functioning for me. Be sure to select StartTLS as the encryption method.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:02 am
MarcoGT offline

I was using Gmail for some IFTTT automations but this of course does not work anymore.
I have a secondary iCloud account but two-factors auth is enabled and as far as I understood it does not work with Email+ plugin (of course).

Any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

MarcoGT wrote:
I have a secondary iCloud account but two-factors auth is enabled and as far as I understood it does not work with Email+ plugin (of course).

AFAIK, you should still be able to create app specific passwords for iCloud accounts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:00 am
FlyingDiver offline

I just tested iCloud Mail with an app-specific password and it worked for both SMTP and IMAP.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:39 am
whmoorejr offline

I just tested my GoDaddy email "Workspace email". SMTP works (I can send emails). POP and IMAP do not.

Since a lot of the above comments revolve around receiving notifications from indigo.... I'll throw in my $0.02

For quick + reliable short messages / alerts / etc, I have been using pushover. I have multiple API tokens to separate messages by topic. (Cyber, Doors, Kids, Climate, etc.) I have had little to no issues with this.

Since I don't check my email often, I only use email for sending a longer version of the pushover message (additional details, device states, summary of events, etc.)

For audio I have two.... for emergency stuff, a physical siren
For emergency and general, a complex network of plugins, 3rd party stuff and a dash of unicorn dust to make custom announcement via Alexa. https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=25902

For audio / visual I have a dedicated control page that runs on a raspberry pi on a TV. The rPi also has airplay so I can push announcements (or music) directly through to it from indigo. Downside is it's only on when the TV is on and tuned the the rPi HDMI.

My point... lots of ways to get reliable notifications from indigo.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:58 pm
whmoorejr offline

norcoscia wrote:
... if I need to switch from gmail will I need to search endlessly to make sure I (try) to find everything within indigo I have set up to send an email over the last five years :-)

Don't delete the email devices you have currently associated with your Gmail. Once you find a different email account to use, just modify your current email+ devices with the new email information and then presto, your old triggers / schedules / actions will continue to work.

If you delete the gmail associated email+ device, then yes, you will end up re-creating a bunch of stuff which will suck.

Bill

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:53 am
whmoorejr offline

whmoorejr wrote:
I just tested my GoDaddy email "Workspace email". SMTP works

About 1 day after switching indigo over to use my GoDaddy workspace email, I get a message that they are transitioning from Free email to a monthly fee Office 360. (I'll be deleting that)

jay (support) wrote:
AFAIK, you should still be able to create app specific passwords for iCloud accounts.

in case anyone needs the link / steps.... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

Bill

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:55 am
whmoorejr offline

If you don't like the iCloud email address you have associated with the iCloud account you have, you can create an alias that you can send/receive from.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/add-and-manage-email-aliases-mm6b1a490a/icloud

Bill

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:43 pm
madscientist offline

Kzintar wrote:

I'll keep experimenting!

Thanks,

K.

I was having the same problem setting up SMTP. My gmail account settings didn't work, even with setting up a separate application password. My icloud account also didn't work, with or without using an application password. I tried just about everything and was ready to give up and set up something via node-red. But before I did I created a second email+ SMTP device using the same settings that failed previously, and I deleted the original STMP device. It worked! So before giving up, try deleting the device from Indigo and starting over.

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:06 pm
whmoorejr offline

madscientist wrote:
...I deleted the original STMP device. It worked!

My icloud SMTP device has been running without issue. But my iCloud IMAP device wouldn't. No biggie, I don't use indigo to read email or have any triggers on inbound email. On my notes for the device I even wrote "Do Not Use. Can be deleted". But I left it there in case I wanted to mess with it later.

After my last indigo update, the darn IMAP device started working. I'm not sure why or how, I have some other suspicions that quasi make sense.... I also updated Find Friends Mini which uses the same account and uses 2FA, so I don't know if that was the kick that got iCould IMAP functioning, if it was the indigo update, Jupiter's alignment with Mars, etc.

Bill