Proposed Plug-in bounty program

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:49 pm
norcoscia offline

Proposed Plug-in bounty program

Hi, I often read comments about people discussing different things they would like to do with Indigo and I understand many of those niche features will never make it into Indigo as an organic feature.

I also understand many of the plug-in developers code for themselves and are generous enough to upload their plug-in for others who find them useful. I also know there is a donation button for existing plug-ins, but what does not exist (to my knowledge) is a mechanism to kickstart plug-in development for those of us who are not coders.

So I propose a plug-in bounty program - In my mind it could work like this.

1. Someone has a use case for a plug-in and is interested in seeing it developed.
2. That person offers up a bounty amount and invites others who would be interested in the plug-in to support it by adding to the first user’s bounty.
3. If and when the dollar amount is high enough to warrant effort by one of the many skilled plug-in developers here - he or she declares they will develop the plug-in.
4. Those who have signed up for the plug-in and offered a bounty amount use the plug-in donation button to send money to the developer.

Interested in what others think (good or bad) - and if anyone has any suggestion to cover anything missing.

Pending approval from Matt and Jay - I would like to offer up a use case for the idea.

I’m willing to add 100 dollars to a plug-in bounty for my favorite HA gadget - Camect

Camect is a video recording device that does a phenomenal job at detecting various items in your video feeds - best of all it is all done on a local machine (it is not cloud based). It has an API but way beyond my ability to code a plug-in. Details on Camect here and below that link to info about the API.

https://camect.com

https://github.com/camect/camect-py

if this bounty idea is OK with Matt and Jay I’m hoping others are interested and will add to the bounty.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:05 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Proposed Plug-in bounty program

This is an interesting idea and you may find some takers for your proposed plugin and potentially others.

One thing to consider as you develop your proposal is that it's often difficult--and sometimes impossible--to code a plugin like the one you're suggesting without access to the device/service/software to be connected. Coding to an API without the ability to test it is possible, but it's rough.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:28 pm
FlyingDiver offline

First problem I see is that it's Python3 API. :(

Second is that it's a fairly pricy item and I wouldn't even think about trying to develop for it without one of the devices. At least a loaner for the initial development period.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:37 pm
norcoscia offline

I’ll check with them to see if they have any units to loan - I would think that would be something they”might” be interested in. I was one of the original kickstarters so got mine for a really good price.

They just came out with an Alexa skill but not sure if that is something I could leverage to kind of back into Indigo in some way - The API is so far beyond my knowledge I can’’t even understand what is possible.

They are running a sale right now , their email is what got me thinking (and wishing) for an Indigo integration. Plus my wife allotted the 100 dollars out of our pending stimulus checks :-)

I only have outside cameras so not sure if having access to my unit would make it possible or even if my wife would freak out if I suggested it - for someone that has been on the forum and as active as either of you it would not bother me too much but let me check on the possibility of a loner.

PS Email sale code I got below...
Attachments
0C4A808D-FE21-4103-97B4-485309DC1852.jpeg
0C4A808D-FE21-4103-97B4-485309DC1852.jpeg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:55 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Right now they're on sale and that discount code works. $425 with both. Does that email say when the discount code expires? 6 days from when?

I've also got a glimmer of an idea of how to deal with the Python3 library. And reimplementing it in Python2 wouldn't be horrible. It's not very complex.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:14 pm
norcoscia offline

I got the email today (this AM) so I think it would be 6 days from today?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:51 am
norcoscia offline

The developer wants anyone interested in developing a plug-in to contact them to discuss what is possible - details below
———————————————-
Have them reach out to support@camect.com with some details about what they're proposing to implement and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Arup

On Monday, January 4, 2021
Does Camect have any ability to give a loaner device to a developer of a very popular home automation system (Indigo) for integration?

Thank you.
———————————————-

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

Meh. I ordered a device this morning. Looks like something I'd want to keep long term anyway.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:33 am
norcoscia offline

Cool - you’re going to love it - for fun I turned on cat detection - picked up a stray about 5 times all around my house - one picture below :-)
Attachments
Cat resized.jpg
Cat resized.jpg (402.27 KiB) Viewed 2882 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 am
DaveL17 offline

That's a great, low-light picture, too. (I realize that's mostly camera.)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks - it really is the best HA buy I think I have ever made, it is getting new features all the time and I have it processing more than 24 megabits of video a second 24/7 and it has never had any issues.

PS. That image was resized so I could upload it - the actual video has fantastic resolution....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1