Radium quit working - any ideas for SiriusXM?

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm
BeeEss online

Radium quit working - any ideas for SiriusXM?

For a while now, one of my favorite (and more frequently used) bits in my system was using Radium to stream SiriusXM to a Raspberry Pi running Airfoil Speakers. Indigo would (via Applescript) start up a SiriusXM stream in Radium, and direct the audio to the Pi via the Airfoil plugin. It worked a treat... until it didn't. Best I can figure, SiriusXM deprecated an older version of their online streaming access that Radium must have been using, and the developer for Radium appears to be MIA.

Anybody know of another way to have Indigo start SiriusXM streams on demand? I have no shortage of devices/apps that can access the stream - Apple TV, Denon receiver, iOS and Android apps, web browsers - but as far as I know they all require direct human interaction via a remote or an app to pick a station and hit 'play.' I need to be able to have Indigo (or any other HA package) automatically start the audio stream, because I trigger it (among other things) for my morning alarm.

I thought about a dedicated hardware streamer that has an IR remote. I could make that work via Harmony or a Broadlink blaster, but I'd prefer a software solution if at all possible. I have the ability to spin up virtual machines running whatever OS I might need.

I think the Amazon Fire devices can stream SiriusXM, but I don't know if there is an easy way to control them in an automated fashion. It looks like it's possible to say "Alexa, play SiriusXM Lithium" to start a stream, but I wonder if it is possible to somehow give Alexa commands without actually speaking? I thought about using Indigo's speech function to "talk" to Alexa, but that sounds awfully hacked together (even by my standards.)

I could easily get where I need to go with a home SiriusXM tuner with IR control, but I'm not giving them another dollar - the subscription for the cars comes with streaming access and is already too expensive. Would appreciate any ideas!

Page 1 of 1