How to remotely turn on a relay for printing;

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm
Craig_H offline

How to remotely turn on a relay for printing;

Hello,

Can anyone offer advice on how I might implement a solution using Indigo for this situation;

I have my laser printer connected to my wifi router ( Airport Extreme ) so that I can print from multiple machines in my home.

Indigo 6 is running on my dedicated Mac Mini which I access thru screen sharing.

The printer is plugged into a GE Z-Wave Smart Switch. When the "power" button on the switch is pressed the printer is powered on, and an Indigo "device changed"
trigger is triggered. This trigger shuts the printer off automatically 30 minutes after it's powered on. My printing needs are random enough it's not worth it to leave it on for
extended periods of time, and I'd rather not hear the little noise it makes.

So far so good. When I need to print I just use screen sharing to turn the printer on if i'm to in the same room.

What I'd like to do is somehow automatically send the turn on command to Indigo if my or my wife computer is going to print.

Ideally the processor printing itself would trigger the device, but a desktop icon on each machine that sends a command would be fine as well.

I've messed around with Automator and AppleScript a bit, but can't seem to get things to work.

I also did some experimenting with rlogin myname@00.0.0.0 then ssh -t myname@00.0.0.0 "indigohost -e 'indigo.device.turnOn("Bathroom Appliance Power")'"

This did work, but wrapping it up into a clickable icon eludes me.

Any advice or solutions that might be applicable?

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: How to remotely turn on a relay for printing;

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1