What do you use Indigo's RSS for?

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 am
Different Computers offline

What do you use Indigo's RSS for?

Apologies for posting it here, but there isn't really a topic under Basic Usage I see that matches up with this. That in itself is rather telling--since every other feature of Indigo has it's own topic.

I have looked at the RSS feed from Indigo. I can't think of a use case for it.

So my question is as it says in the title: What do you use the RSS feed for?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: What do you use Indigo's RSS for?

I'm not sure anyone is using it. :-)

It is really old legacy functionality from before Indigo Touch existed, which provides a very rough way to subscribe to device changes from an RSS newsreader client. On the next big Indigo web UI update (which is sorely needed) we'll be removing that option from the UI. We might leave in the functionality in there under-the-hood in case someone is actually still using it but I have my doubts anyone is.

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2018 12:35 am
wmldwilly offline

Funny I should stumble across this thread from last year, as I've suddenly come into a case where I'd really like to be able to tap the RSS feed remotely for status of a sensor or sensors. I admit I've never had a use for an RSS feed really, but am wondering if this is the avenue to achieve "push" style notices on mobile devices or tablets via an app running there polling the feed and pushing status notifications to the user.

I need a very "passive" sort of "my phone buzzed and it's telling me the door was opened" sort of use for a totally non-technical type user.

I'm failing to assemble the right URL though to get to that darned feed. Is that something I can tap with some RSS reader type app on an iOS or Android device?

Seems like this one should be hitting me over the head with obviousness, but alas it is not. :)

Any pointers are appreciated!

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 am

wmldwilly wrote:
I'm failing to assemble the right URL though to get to that darned feed. Is that something I can tap with some RSS reader type app on an iOS or Android device?

Seems like this one should be hitting me over the head with obviousness, but alas it is not. :)

Any pointers are appreciated!

Didn't it used to be on the bottom of the Indigo Home Control Server web page? It's gone now. Was RSS removed in 7.1 or something?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

When you look at the main page for IWS in your browser, what's the last line in the table?

ss182.png
ss182.png (79.8 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.49.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.49.51 PM.png (122.75 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

:?:

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am
DaveL17 offline

Do you have “Enable RSS” checked in the Indigo Server startup dialog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am
Alain offline

Can one choose which devices output their values to the RSS feed or is it all or nothing?

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Afraid it is all or nothing. I believe that functionality was added to Indigo 2.0, and hasn't really changed since then.

Page 1 of 1