Home assistant

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 8:43 am
aderrington offline

Home assistant

Hi,

Has anyone tried using Home Assistant (https://home-assistant.io)
I'm intrigued as it seems to have multiple components that allow it to connect and talk to various services and devices such as an Amazon Fire Stick, Apple iCloud, IFTTT etc)
Could this be used alongside Indigo and integrate it somehow with indigo?

Sadly although i have some coding knowledge it's above my level.

Thoughts anyone?

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 am
aderrington offline

Re: Home assistant

Or can anyone deconstruct the components to make something work for Indigo (so we don't have to run Home Assistant)

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 9:30 am
Different Computers offline

Dunno about the Fire Stick, but most any iCloud stuff should be replicable with AppleScripting.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, one immediate problem I see is that it uses Python 3 - Indigo uses Python 2, so it would potentially require work. Also, the way they architected components is kinda stupid - rather than encapsulate support for any given technology (WeMo, Hue, etc) in one place, you have to add files in a variety of places for each device type. That means that you really need their glue code in order to make it work (at least that's my assumption without digging into actual code).

I don't know if it has an API, but if so then someone could conceivably write a plugin that would bridge devices from it to Indigo much like the Vera Bridge plugin does (or the Hue plugin, etc).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1