Controling harmony ultimate HUB from Indigo

Posted on
Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:49 pm
durosity offline

Re: Controling harmony ultimate HUB from Indigo

autolog wrote:
I am wondering what functions an Indigo Harmony Plugin would be required to do i.e. what are the use cases for the plugin?

Certainly from my point of view the most important features would be:

Status report: ability to trigger events in indigo whenever an action is selected on harmony, and the ability to see which devices on the harmony aware on, source selected, etc

Ability to send commands to indigo.. Eg to link to a thermostat in indigo and adjust it up/down using the remote and the remote to show the current temp/set point. Same for lights and other devices.

Multi room support.. I'm hoping one day to get new harmony remotes for all the rooms in my house instead of the convoluted ir extenders and IR readers to send to indigo that I'm currently using.

Now hop to it boy, I want a working prototype in my inbox on Monday morning. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:24 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Now hop to it boy, I want a working prototype in my inbox on Monday morning.

This is only allowed when sent as a notecard inside the new device that you sent to the plugin developer as a gift to create the plugin. Jon, hold out, I think you can get a free one from this chap, he wants it badly! :-)

Posted on
Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:14 pm
durosity offline

Believe me if I could afford it I would, but between my wedding 2 months ago, the honeymoon in June and remortgaging in July I'm completely, totally and utterly skint! The hard disk in my MacBook Pro just failed and I hard to replace it with a painfully slow 120gb I salvaged from an old dead MacBook. :(. Woe is me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:42 am
autolog offline

durosity wrote:
... Now hop to it boy, I want a working prototype in my inbox on Monday morning. ;)

Just taken delivery of my new harmony Ultimate Remote and Hub.

Now doing the initial set-up :)

btw - I have started on the initial framework for a plugin but I doubt I will hit tomorrow morning's target. :wink:

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:02 am
durosity offline

I'm disappointed, this will certainly count against you during your APR.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:51 pm
wiery offline

autolog wrote:
durosity wrote:
... Now hop to it boy, I want a working prototype in my inbox on Monday morning. ;)

Just taken delivery of my new harmony Ultimate Remote and Hub.

Now doing the initial set-up :)

btw - I have started on the initial framework for a plugin but I doubt I will hit tomorrow morning's target. :wink:

Where did you order from ?

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:10 pm
autolog offline

wiery wrote:
Where did you order from ?

amazon (UK) :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:44 am
haavarda offline

As far as I know, the Harmony plugin that is available for the Vera controller is the best as of now... Here is some documentation if it helps or is of interest.
http://www.reneboer.demon.nl/veraimg/UserGuide%20v2.02.pdf

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:51 am
haavarda offline

autolog, has there been any progress? Just curious :)

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:02 pm
autolog offline

The current status is that Matt (for Indigo Domotics) has requested access to the API and we understand from Logitech that it should be made available shortly (not sure when that will be though as we are dependant on Logitech making the details available).

I would much prefer to use the official API as opposed to the unofficial route and am therefore waiting to get access to the official API before proceeding.

In the meanwhile, I can still develop the outline plugin framework. :)

Posted on
Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm
macshield offline

anyone have this working yet? Any updates?

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:50 pm
Gelfin offline

So speaking as someone who has experimented with Harmony integration (not in the context of an Indigo plugin), I can tell you that the major complication is that it's not a simple API. Living inside your little Harmony hub is a specialized XMPP (Jabber IM) server and to work with it properly you have to maintain a live "chat session" with the hub and listen for event messages received in that session.

If you don't have the context for that, most Internet service APIs are more like just requesting one web page and waiting for the server's response to that one request, and maybe you have to make a lot of requests to get something done, but each one is just that simple. It's highly structured and constrained so it's easy to deal with. You ask for "my devices" and you know the only thing you'll get back is a list of your devices or an error. Then you ask for something else. Keeping up a live two-way conversation where either side can send anything at any time, and the other side has to know how to receive and respond to whatever it gets, is more complicated. Doable, but complicated.

I've used an eventmachine-based Ruby XMPP client to successfully control and listen for events from my hub, but I'd have to resurrect that work, port it back to Python, clean up a lot of gross shortcuts, and finally break down and learn how to write an Indigo plugin, and only then figure out if an EM sort of implementation is compatible with the Indigo plugin architecture. Can't know until I try, but there's a real chance it'd just freeze the server.

Thus far to the extent I've tried to integrate with Indigo at all, I've just written an external script to talk to the Harmony and push messages to a Cynical Network listener, but that approach is so hacky (and not super reliable) that it wouldn't be much use to anybody else. It was barely useful to me. Maybe I'll revisit this soon and try to make it a real, live thing, but after the day job and the wife have claimed their share, there's only so many hours left over.

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:35 pm
haavarda offline

Just to pitch in. I'm using the harmony plugin that is available for the Vera. Then I am controlling the Vera from indigo and polling status from indigo as well. This has been surprisingly stable.

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:32 pm
roquej offline

I am doing the same thing and can confirm it works fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:45 pm
RAID5 offline

Looks like another option has arrived. The Harmony Hub Extender, it can act as a secondary controller in a already existing z-wave network. It will act as a bridge between your z-wave network an Harmony Hub.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"