Controling harmony ultimate HUB from Indigo

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:07 am
haavarda offline

Controling harmony ultimate HUB from Indigo

I have been following this thread on the vera forum:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/ ... 28.60.html

It discusses how to control the Harmony ultimate hub from the vera controller. And in post 69 there is a description and something called HarmonyHubControl binary.
I am not a programmer and have very little knowledge about this, but I would very much like to see Indigo controlling my harmony ultimate hub. Can someone say anything about this file and how one could go about to get this working with Indigo?

If there is anybody else that would like to start develop a plugin for harmony ultimate this can maybe be a good starting point.

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 am
colinpartridge offline

Re: Controling harmony ultimate HUB from Indigo

I managed to install pyharmony libraries according to this post http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/Ultimate-Hub-API/td-p/1049607/page/4 and managed to get indigo to run a shell script to change an activity. It was very kludgy and not exactly swift but that was probably down to me not having a clue what I was doing. One of the issues is that some of the libraries are for python 2.6 so you can't run the scripts directly from within Indigo ( I don't think). There isn't a full list of commands available but all I was interested in was changing activities. I notice that you can now control Nest Thermostats and Remote Buddy from your Harmony Remote.

Colin
Last edited by colinpartridge on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:25 am
haavarda offline

As I understand it Colin you used terminal to execute your activity? How do you control it from Indigo? Is this solution stable?

Is there a workaround to get this to run natively from Indigo? Any Python/Indigo experts that could get this to work?

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:58 am
colinpartridge offline

Hi Håvard
Be aware that this was very much a bodge together since there isn't a published API to start from. All I have managed to do is to execute a shell script from an action group which communicates with the harmony scripts.

Colin

Posted on
Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 am
colinpartridge offline

Seems like Logitech is opening up some form of API, whether it would end up being public is anyones guess. I suppose that if the Harmony could be programmed to trigger an action group in Indigo then that would be a benefit.
http://www.myharmony.com/discover/harmony-api/

Posted on
Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:55 pm
iblis offline

I have created virtual on/off devices for each activity using a RaspberryPi with Domoticz installed as the backend. It supports two way device state updates and has been working very reliable for the past weeks. If anybody is interested I can write up a howto.

Best regards,
Andreas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:35 pm
CntryDoe offline

I took a slightly different approach.

HarmonyPY has been working for me... I found it through http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-H ... 607/page/4 (Post # 37 to be precise). I'm hoping someone that knows how to create a plugin can package it as an indigo plugin.

As for now, I have it polling my Harmony Hub and putting the current activity into a variable via shell script.

Posted on
Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 am
haavarda offline

CntryDoe wrote:
I took a slightly different approach.

HarmonyPY has been working for me... I found it through http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-H ... 607/page/4 (Post # 37 to be precise). I'm hoping someone that knows how to create a plugin can package it as an indigo plugin.

As for now, I have it polling my Harmony Hub and putting the current activity into a variable via shell script.

This is very interesting. I am using the Vera bridge plugin to control the harmony plugin that runs there. This is a extra device that adds complexity.

Can you share a bit on how you manage to get it to work? Setting it up. And how you get the current activity to a variable?

Regards

Håvard

Posted on
Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am
durosity offline

A plugin for this would be awesome, particularly if it allowed feedback to indigo for actions that aren't media related (as in lights, heating, etc) and also could show current States on the remote control

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:38 pm
haavarda offline

Is there anyone with the know how that is interested in starting developing this as a plug in? I wish I could do it. But I don't even know where or how to start... :)

Regards

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:27 am
haavarda offline

So I have decided to try to create a harmony control plug in. I only have experience with some simple scripting so no promises.
I have tried to read up on http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... ugin_guide, but some of it goes over my head.
In the documentation it is referred to a IndigoPluginTester. Anyone know where I can find this application?

I am trying to package the HarmonyPY found at https://github.com/rkitover/pyharmony . Anyone that has any advice on how to start?
I have created the package and the info.plist file and I am now a bit stuck on how to implement the files from pyharmony and tie this together with indigo.

Hope someone with some plugin knowledge can help me a bit :). Is there any other available plugins that is very similar to what this should look like?

regards

Håvard

Posted on
Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:03 am
colinpartridge offline

Can't help on the plugin front, but would be happy to test on my three harmony hubs. I thought about having a go at this but got as far as installing the prerequisite libraries and getting Indigo to run a shell script to change an activity.

Colin

Posted on
Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Just a heads up, but that PyHarmony class uses some classes which are not available in Python 2.5 -- so your plugin may not run unless you are using Yosemite. Specifically the "requests" and "SleekXMPP" library both have a 2.6+ requirement (at least in the latest repositories for them... might could find an older version to work).

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 am
haavarda offline

Hi Colin.
I am maybe realizing that this could be a bit difficult for a first plugin :). I am thinking of making it work as a script first. Can you share a bit on how you have set it up?

Håvard

Håvard

Posted on
Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:00 pm
Juggler offline

Did anyone see this announcement from Logitech? http://blog.logitech.com/2015/01/14/harmony-api/

Looks like they're committing to creating some sort of API. Would be great if it was open enough that an Indigo Plugin could be created that would allow us to create triggers based on the Harmony!