Mitsubishi HVAC Ductless Air Conditioning and Heating Units

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:34 am
wmcorbin offline

Mitsubishi HVAC Ductless Air Conditioning and Heating Units

We’re installing Mitsubishi HVAC systems in our home. http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/consumer/product-solutions/product-showcase

Nice technology with Handheld Wireless Remote for controlling the units http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/consumer/product-solutions/product-showcase/controls.

Has anyone had experiencing with linking these units to their Indigo home automation system for remote control purposes?

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:58 am
freshwuzhere offline

Re: Mitsubishi HVAC Ductless Air Conditioning and Heating Un

Hi ,

I have successfully turned on and off my Mitsubishi Mr Slim. Problem is the codes are all unique for EVERY temperature so the learning process is lengthy. There are some good postings on remotecentral but be ready for a long I learn session.

Fwh

Posted on
Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:08 pm
gg2 offline

How did you get on attempting to replicate the temperature IR codes for the Mr SLIM air conditioning?

Do you have any advice about the ON/OFF codes. Was this relatively simple?

I understand that the Mitsubishi remotes send a lot of details with each button press, possibly including the status of all the controls each time you a single button?

( I would like to integrate my Mitsubishi a/c with Indigo. )

Many thanks, Rick

Posted on
Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:57 pm
freshwuzhere offline

Hi Rick,

Sorry for delay in response - XMAS is what it is!

In this case discussed above I used a Global Cache and Perry the Cynics Global Cache - used the IR leaner program for Global. PROBLEM is that every button press sends every parameter in a whole new command - so setting 69 Heating degrees requires a command to 69 degrees cooling etc etc. I think in theory you may need to learn hundreds of commands. In practise - I used only a couple - and learned those - like AC on at 74 degrees and fan on low etc and then "OFF".......

A better (and MUCH more expensive) solution is the CoolMaster 4000M ( http://coolautomation.com/products/cool ... ctric-vrf/ ) which is a serial device that translates serial to Mitsubishi bus (M-Bus) talk. I am installing a 7 zone, 11 air handler Mitsubishi system which requires something this complex and expensive (much cheaper than Mitsubishi's alternative I'll add!) . I am nearly done on the "Beta" version of a Coolmaster plugin if you go that way.

Fresh

Posted on
Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:20 pm
bgw offline

freshwuzhere wrote:
I am nearly done on the "Beta" version of a Coolmaster plugin if you go that way.

Fresh

I am looking at installing this system (coolmaster 4000M for mitsubishi ductless); is there any way I could take a look at your plugin?

Thanks very much
Bruce

Posted on
Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:26 am
freshwuzhere offline

Hi Bruce,
Sorry for delayed response - but give me a week - I'm giving it a major overhaul and tightening up the robustness. I also wrote it using the direct USB method - then realized I needed to use the remote (rfc2217) calls - broke everything :shock: .

In short the unit works well and I'll send you something in a week or so.

Posted on
Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:22 pm
dherren offline

I'm late to this discussion, but I just had a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim heat pump installed 2 days ago. I've searched the forum but don't seem to find an actual plug-in nor any information as to how to connect to the heat pump. One post I read seemed to suggest that there is a USB port somewhere on the unit, though I haven't noticed one.

Is there a basic "how to" document anywhere in the forum that I'm not seeing?

Posted on
Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This thread was marginally in the wrong spot (INSTEON forum) - it was originally put here I believe because one solution was to use the INSTEON IR-Linc transceiver. That product is quite hard to use and we don't recommend it.

We don't directly support this system in Indigo. The other solutions mentioned on this thread use 3rd party plugins for other hardware like the Global Cache. I don't know if anyone has written anything else up. I'm going to move this thread into the How Do I... forum and hopefully someone who's made it work will post.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 am
mpoulson offline

I'm finishing a Mr Slim plugin now if you are interested in testing.

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:06 pm
mpoulson offline

I just finished the first version of the Mr.Slim heatpump plugin that works with the Red Link module.

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=17532

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:48 pm
rroonnbb offline

Re: Mitsubishi HVAC Ductless A/C & Heating Units (Kumo Cloud

I'm about to install a bunch of these throughout the house too and would love to figure out a way to control via Indigo.

So far I haven't found a lot on the web where people have done this. There's an inactive thread on the smartthings forums - https://community.smartthings.com/t/kum ... -air/46525 - where they at least made a start at reverse-engineering the control codes. It would seem that since there's now a web app for controlling this stuff it should be possible to track things down a little easier?

It's been way too long since I wrote code so I'm hoping someone else out there might be tackling it already but otherwise I may have to dive in once my units are installed.

Incidentally, one other point of information is that there are two different wifi controllers out there for this:

Wi-Fi Adapter (PAC-WHS01WF-E) older model, Requires WPS
Wi-Fi Adapter (PAC-USWHS002-WF-1) Newer Model, does NOT require WPS

I'm assuming everybody getting a new system will be getting the newer model controller.

(I also changed the subject of this thread to include keywords 'Kumo Cloud' which is what Mitsu calls this protocol... in case someone comes searching for it).

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 am
rroonnbb offline

Having a Nest in the system is sort of weird though, since every MiniSplit already has a thermostat and the whole point is to have per-room control. The WiFi module and the app all seem to be pretty functional... I'd just like to have some more 'meta' control over it all.

If there's any coders who might be interested in doing this on a freelance basis I might be interested in subsidizing it...

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am
freshwuzhere offline

Check this out - for NEST integration...

https://coolautomation.com/nest/

This will allow you to use the NEST plugin (which is a pretty good one) :D

I have heated radiant floors controlled by my NEST and don't want the heat function from AC unless there is a large temperature differential to set point so I have some additional code to handle that..

I have a different Cool Automations controller (CoolMaster 4000M) that translates M-bus (Mitsubishi 485 bus) to serial. I have a plugin for it and they sell and updated version of these now.

I have had no problem with the plug in for 2 years now - never had a failure of the CoolMaster unit. 7 zones, some Mr SLIM others ducted - but all Mitsubishi. You do need the M-Bus card in each unit for this to work.

Happy to share if you are interested - and updating shouldn't be hard.....

I should warn you these are eye-wateringly expensive.........

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm
rroonnbb offline

Got it. Not sure I really want to jump through that many hoops but thanks for the info. And since I've got 10 minisplits in the place any multi-nest solution starts to become prettyexpensive.

Bottom line is it seems like the Mitsubishi 'kumo cloud' wifi solution is reasonably good as a standalone setup so maybe I'll just live with that for a while and try to find some side-project time to come up with an indigo plugin solution.

Or if there's anybody who might undertake this on a contract basis... we should talk.

Posted on
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:42 pm
jroach offline

Looking to see if in the last three years are there any new solutions for the Mitsubishi units. I have the PEAD ducted units installed using the z-wave Honeywell thermostat but that thermostat doesn't control variable fan speed or "dry mode". It looks like there is a wifi solution (vs z-wave) that uses Kumo Cloud but I can't tell if it is supported by Indigo. (See attached image)
Attachments
Mitsubishi thermostat solution.jpg
Mitsubishi thermostat solution.jpg (247.63 KiB) Viewed 5288 times