Mutilroom mm wave presence sensor

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:56 am
siclark offline

Mutilroom mm wave presence sensor

A few of us are playing with / using the Tuya and Aqara mmWave sensors for presence detection in room to improve over PiR.

This looks a significant step forwards if it works, and we can hook into indigo. (Although sounds like the aqara hub is still required to define the individual rooms).

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/24/23613530/aqara-fp2-presence-sensor-launches-china-price-specs-features

I’ll be getting one to test when more officially released.

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:14 am
CliveS offline

Re: Mutilroom mm wave presence sensor

Ooooh, finally the specs on the FP2. Just looked at https://www.aqara.com/Aqara_Presence_Detector_FP2_overview in Safari with translate on and it looks great.

The FP1's are superb (and I have 7) and these are a step up (and some) from those .

I know Jon is going to 'love' coding for them in Zigbee2mqtt Bridge :)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 am
siclark offline

Haha. I’ve already told him no need to panic as zigbee can’t handle the bandwidth so these are Wi-Fi judging by the radio (maybe thread) with Bluetooth for matter setup.

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:08 am
CliveS offline

Looking at the reviews around the internet you could be right but from Aqara 's FP2 preview page it says

When the network is abnormal at home, there is no need to worry about the human scene sensor.
FP2-related automation will fail, and localized operation can be easily achieved through Wi-Fi local area network and zigbee gateway.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:24 pm
MarcoGT offline

Does with FP1 the presence monitor is more reliable than with standard PIR sensors?
How is it integrated into Indigo?

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:01 am
siclark offline

MarcoGT wrote:
Does with FP1 the presence monitor is more reliable than with standard PIR sensors?
How is it integrated into Indigo?
There are 3 devices available that use mm wave sensing rather than PIR. Different price points , features and size.

https://smarthomescene.com/reviews/best-mmwave-human-presence-sensor-comparison/

In short they detect continuing presence amazingly well. Well setup they will detect someone sitting motionless for hours, just breathing is detected. Some people say it doesn’t once miss their presence in bedroom whilst sleeping for 8 hours.
They aren’t quite as fast as PIR for detecting new movement to turn on lights.
They can sense through furniture and even walls so can be placed , with some limitations I’m sure, behind things. IE I am testing my Tuya M100 placed behind a tv and works well.
They are mains powered zigbee devices so use zigbee2mqtt or hubitat etc for inclusion into indigo.

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:24 am
siclark offline

I’ve just ordered a couple of FP1s so I can test alongside the Tuya M100

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 am
MarcoGT offline

Which is the "best" according to you?
I am thinking to get one, Aqara FP1 or Tuya? Did you buy them on Aliexpress?

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:15 am
siclark offline

Yes, Aliexpress.
FP1 has more features, ie can detect direction of movement, ie entering or exiting room (although shows exiting even if someone is still there), and has a nicer mount.
M100 is reported as faster but I havent tested yet. Its definitely much slimmer, so could be less visible, or hide behind furniture more easily, its certainly much thinner. I think it has a 9m range vs 5m on the FP1 (but again not validated that)

FP1 is almost twice the price of M100.

I wouldnt buy the old Tuya one.

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:00 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
Which is the "best" according to you?
I am thinking to get one, Aqara FP1 or Tuya? Did you buy them on Aliexpress?

I am slightly biased in that I have not used a M100 but I have the Aqara FP1 (7 of them) and 1Tuya PS-HPS Human Presence Sensor.

TheTuya PS-HPS Human Presence Sensor is oversized, ugly and made of cheap black plastic and will flood your zigbee mesh with constant updates, several per second, every second and it never stops!

It would sometimes fail to see I me, I had my back to it, 1 metre distance with an Aqara FP1 right next to it which did not fail once.

It seems the M100 is a reasonable alternative but not having used one I can't pass judgement.

I stacked an Aqara FP1, an Aqara Original motion sensor and the newer Aqara P1 Motion sensor on top of each other and got the following timings.

2023-02-27 15:18:25.210 Zigbee2mqtt Bridge received "Z Bathroom Basin P1 Motion" motion sensor 'on' event
2023-02-27 15:18:25.280 Zigbee2mqtt Bridge received "Z Dining Room Motion" motion sensor 'on' event
2023-02-27 15:18:25.595 Zigbee2mqtt Bridge received "Z Dining Room FP1" radar sensor 'on', presence 'False', presence event 'enter'
2023-02-27 15:18:26.242 Zigbee2mqtt Bridge received "Z Dining Room FP1" radar sensor 'on', presence 'False', presence event 'approach'
2023-02-27 15:18:32.125 Zigbee2mqtt Bridge received "Z Dining Room FP1" radar sensor 'on', presence 'True', presence event 'approach'

As you can see the P1 PIR was fastest, then the original PIR sensor and then the FP1 but only .388ms slower than the P1.

I will not be buying any further PIR sensors, I will wait for the Aqara FP2 before I decide further but for you a M100 or the FP1 will always be useful, just don't buy the Tuya PS-HPS Human Presence Sensor.

CliveS

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:15 am
MarcoGT offline

Thanks a lot
I have to decide if go for FP1 or FP2

WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is very high as she experiences the problem of lights going off when is in a room but not moving

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:28 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
Thanks a lot
I have to decide if go for FP1 or FP2

Personally I would go for a FP1 just to appreciate what it can do, FP2 will not be around for a few months and then at present no way to get it into Indigo easily as a Zigbee chip is not going to be installed and I expect it will be Apple Home and Aqara app control and then hopefully it will be reverse engineered to work with other systems.

MarcoGT wrote:
WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is very high as she experiences the problem of lights going off when is in a room but not moving

Tell me about it :cry: , I think you will find the FP1 should help for 99.999% but you can guarantee you will only get told when it does not work!

CliveS

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:55 am
siclark offline

Agree to all the above.

For the price of the FP2 you could get multi room coverage now with products we know can connect easily.

I think individual sensors in each room is always going to be better than expecting a sensor to accurately see through walls.

Then it’s just price, features and form factor

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:24 am
MarcoGT offline

I am having a look on Aliexpress, are there two different versions? HomeKit and Zigbee?

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I am having a look on Aliexpress, are there two different versions? HomeKit and Zigbee?

They are Zigbee devices that if you have certain Aqara hubs that interface with HomeKit can talk with HomeKit but you do not require an Aqara hub so disregard the mention of HomeKit.
Any AliExpress shop selling Aqara FP1 will work with Zigbee2mqtt Bridge plug-in ,

CliveS