Z-Wave for drapes

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am
rgspb offline

Z-Wave for drapes

I've got a standard set of drapes that I would like to automate using Z-Wave. It seems like there are a lot of different methods out there for using multiple devices and technologies. What is the simplest way to control these using Z-Wave?

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:18 pm
agame offline

Re: Z-Wave for drapes

are they already motorised? or are you needing both motorisation and indigo integration?

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 pm
rgspb offline

Not motorized, just standard string loop

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 am
agame offline

ok I'll kick off my thoughts since no-one else has.

- I cant speak for any integrated zwave<>curtain solutions - they tend to be niche, and regionally specific as zwave solutions. have been to date, - everything I've personally done has been adding connectivity to an otherwise stand-alone motorisation solution . If you can find a full package that works with both your windows and Indigo, no doubt life will be easy.
- if you separate the motor selection from the z-wave integration, all you need to look for is either (A) a 'bare-wire' motor - and use one of several motor control zwave modules that work fine with indigo [eg. fibaro]; or (B) a motor with a dry-contact controller interface to which you can any of several modules supporting dry contacts. Option B most likely would come with a RF remote control...so RFXTRX becomes another integration path; option A requires more config but you should be able to achieve awareness of the %open of the curtains.
- just to complicate things in addition to RF, there are other options (eg Shelly/wifi) for motor control, or dry contract relays.

soo much choice! I'd start with finding a motor that integrates best with your window hardware.

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 am
rgspb offline

Thanks. That was my fear, that there’s no single solution like there is for shades. I’ll take a look at all these choices and see what fits my needs best!

Page 1 of 1