Prevent cameras from accessing WAN

Posted on
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:16 am
Dual offline

Prevent cameras from accessing WAN

I have Security Spy and 8 cameras. Since the cameras communicate with SS over the LAN I do not want any WAN traffic to or from the cameras (no calling “home” etc). In my ASUS router I can blacklist each camera IP. I think that’s what I want to do. Problem is, I don’t know what to put in the various fields beyond the camera’s IP address. Can anyone tell me what to put in the other fields? The manual isn’t helpful. Or am I not on the right path?

Source IP : camera’s IP
Port Range : I want all ?
Destination IP : I want all ?
Protocol : TCP? TCP ALL? UDP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm
mundmc offline

Re: Prevent cameras from accessing WAN

I’m surprised nobody fixed this for you yet- granted, I’m mot familiar with that router, so I can’t :(

My guess is as long as you block outbound traffic on those IP’s that you’ll be okay.

Did you ever figure it out?

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 pm
Dual offline

Haven’t had time to sit and play with it yet to discover what to put in those fields. We are moving to another house which we are renovating. Current I am changing a couple hundred receptacles, switches and fan controls from ivory to white. Not particularly exciting.

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:28 am
mundmc offline

Dual wrote:
Haven’t had time to sit and play with it yet to discover what to put in those fields. We are moving to another house which we are renovating. Current I am changing a couple hundred receptacles, switches and fan controls from ivory to white. Not particularly exciting.

Move to a new house = justifiable family expense to buy a Unifi router?

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am
RogueProeliator offline

I’m surprised nobody fixed this for you yet- granted, I’m mot familiar with that router, so I can’t

I don't know that anyone has that particular router, at least I can't think of anyone posting any similar looking UI screen; so everyone probably in the same boat as you.

Source IP : camera’s IP
Destination IP : I want all ?
Protocol : TCP? TCP ALL? UDP?

In general, though, I would say Yes to block all that -- you don't really know what they are using to talk to "home" and if someone had some nefarious code in there (either through infection from other places in your network or from the factory), they certainly wouldn't be restricted to what the camera claims they use. So block 'em all.

I'm not familiar with that router's settings for what it wants for "all" or if a blank is considered to be that, unfortunately.

Adam

Page 1 of 1