Wifi base stations Indigo friendly?

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 am
jalves offline

So, after many, many years of useful service my current Apple Airport/Timecapsule wifi network devices seem to be approaching the end. Over the years I've seen folks here recommend base stations from various manufacturers and I'm wondering what the current favorite is.

My criteria is that it should be able to create a mesh system with seamless handoff as I move around the small-ish house. Should "just work". Be connected over an ethernet backbone. And...be Indigo friendly (ie, be easily controllable from Indigo) if possible.

Suggestions?

Note: Im sure Matt or Jay will move this to the right location. Thanks for keeping an organized board despite everybody's best efforts!

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Wifi base stations Indigo friendly?

I'm pretty dubious about mesh, but I suppose not in an informed way.

Unless your house is lathe and plaster with metal lathe, or something else that's nearly wifi-impermeable, why not a single, powerful wifi source? I replaced two Airport routers and an airport express that I needed to cover my large, long house with a single Unifi wifi access point and got better coverage.

The Unifi plugin is also amazing, and does the huge majority of my presence detection for Indigo.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to a more appropriate forum.

Several of us are using UniFi hardware. It is a bit pricey, but it is extremely flexible and reliable. It is the first WiFi system I've had that has excellent mesh coverage/handoff. You just never have to even think about it. There is a plugin, but I don't think it actually does any "control". In fact, I'm not sure what you would want to do from Indigo to the network - it "just works" and never needs Indigo to do anything.

I will say that due to it's capabilities, it's a bit challenging to get up and running initially. But it's certainly doable for the majority of Indigo users.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:07 am
neilk offline

+1 for UniFi. It gets pricey quickly if you move over to switches, USG and more. It can be good value for a small number of AP’s that will cover many homes. I started with a couple of AP’s and a controller that ran on my Blue Iris server, and it is only really needed when you make changes. It soon escalates as the kit just works to new switches, gateway, cloud key and others but absolutely rock solid and the family will love you even more.

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:44 pm
DaveL17 offline

Another +1. All my networking gear (wired and wireless) is Unifi. I use their controller/dashboard software running on a Gen 1 cloud key, and the way I have it configured, I can manage my entire network or apply firmware updates from 37,000ft on the Indigo airplane. :D

I also have a VPN configured and--after I log on to that--I can run the Indigo client and manage my Indigo install remotely as well.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm
RAID5 offline

Another +1
I have Unifi APs and Cloude Key.
It’s rock stabile and just works. Have in mind that one BIG AP or router is rarely the solution, it will most certainly have the power to reach all devices, but phones don’t have the power to reach back. Laptops and other more powerful devices most likely do. Therefore I recommend more then one AP in a larger home. I use two APs in my two floor wooden house and have great WiFi speeds on the top floor where the APs are (>100 Mbps) and downstairs I get around 20-30 Mbps. (Tested on my phone) most likely better with my laptop.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm
jalves offline

Many thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be going the UniFi Route shortly.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:24 pm
howartp offline

I’ve got 1 UniFi at home, 2 at church, and 85 at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:26 pm
neilk offline

howartp wrote:
I’ve got 1 UniFi at home, 2 at church, and 85 at work!

How big is the school ? Do you work at Hogwarts ?

:D

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 pm
howartp offline

1800 students, 9 buildings

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

neilk wrote:
Do you work at Hogwarts ?

All those moving stairways and solid rock walls must play hell with WiFi signals...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:26 pm
kw123 offline

Using a UniFi switch for poe to the APs makes live easier

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:01 pm
RAID5 offline

I agree there also, using a PoE switch makes cable management easy and you also have the possibility to force reboot your APs by turning of PoE in the switch. You will most likely never use it, but you have the possibility.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:28 am
howartp offline

jay (support) wrote:
neilk wrote:
Do you work at Hogwarts ?

All those moving stairways and solid rock walls must play hell with WiFi signals...

Well the marauders map manages to maintain accurate presence detection so WiFi must still work..

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 am
durosity offline

+1 on unifi. +2 on us all going to Hogwarts. On a side note I went to school with the guy that taught Harry how to play quidditch in the movies.

Computer says no.