... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 am
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

This looks promising, and the developer’s name is familiar from the last code I used to log into iCloud circa 2012.

https://github.com/picklepete/pyicloud/ ... README.rst


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Great, now you are making me want to write a plugin for this with that library. Thanks. :roll:

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

autolog wrote:
FYI: If you have an Apple watch the you can ping your iPhone when the iPhone is in Do Not Disturb mode and the side button (shows orange) i.e. ringer is muted. :)


That’s what I do for my phone, but my wife and mother-in-Law don’t have Apple watches.

This link looks promising as well: https://github.com/manwhoami/FindMyiPho ... er/FMIP.py


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 am
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Great, now you are making me want to write a plugin for this with that library. Thanks. :roll:


(Can’t say the thought didn’t occur to me that somebody with skills I lack might finish the project before I even figured out where to start, but I’ll still try)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:19 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

mundmc wrote:
(Can’t say the thought didn’t occur to me that somebody with skills I lack might finish the project before I even figured out where to start, but I’ll still try)

I'm not here to steal your thunder, brother, go for it! I thought you were tying to embed a script rather than create a plugin ;).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 pm
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

:)
I really just want my wife and mother-in-Law to be able to find their phones.

I will keep experimenting with a script, but there is no thunder to be stolen, just inelegant code to be spared!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline
User avatar
Posts: 2244
Joined: Nov 13, 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Really? Apple actually supplies an API that will bypass the mute setting?

Can iOS not set priorities that bypass do not disturb features? Or play a sound upon receiving a notification (i.e. separate than a notification sound)? I was just throwing ideas out there, I guess I just assumed that would be on all the OSes... Wouldn't think it would run on a truly silent phone, just for vibrate. At any rate, might be a moot point given the other options proposed.

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 15704
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

RogueProeliator wrote:
Really? Apple actually supplies an API that will bypass the mute setting?

Can iOS not set priorities that bypass do not disturb features? Or play a sound upon receiving a notification (i.e. separate than a notification sound)? I was just throwing ideas out there, I guess I just assumed that would be on all the OSes... Wouldn't think it would run on a truly silent phone, just for vibrate. At any rate, might be a moot point given the other options proposed.


I've never looked, but my guess is that Apple won't allow you to override mute settings. I've never seen any system-wide settings for priorities in notifications which would override default behaviors. And, frankly, I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to go through each app and tell it to be quiet! :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

To clarify, apps like XYFindIt and Tile allow for sound even when the device is in sleep mode or on vibrate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

mundmc wrote:
To clarify, apps like XYFindIt and Tile allow for sound even when the device is in sleep mode or on vibrate.

I don't know these apps but doing a quick search and reading up on them gives me the impression that they are using the same basic functionality that you are pointing to in that library, utilizing the Apple iCloud interface to make something happen that the actual API for iOS doesn't permit. As Jay said, it would be pretty silly for Apple to open up the ability to override the settings when the settings are intended to be your global preferences. The iCloud Find My Phone is an exception because it's meant to be used in extreme circumstances and for a particular situation rather than a day-to-day feature.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 15704
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

mundmc wrote:
To clarify, apps like XYFindIt and Tile allow for sound even when the device is in sleep mode or on vibrate.


An API may exist, as I said I've not looked for it. It would be somewhat out of character for Apple though.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:14 pm
RogueProeliator offline
User avatar
Posts: 2244
Joined: Nov 13, 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

As Jay said, it would be pretty silly for Apple to open up the ability to override the settings when the settings are intended to be your global preferences.

FWIW, that isn't exactly what I was suggesting / asking. In Android, for instance, the default Do Not Disturb allows Events & Alarms through. You can authorize more applications or specific users (for calls/messages) through. You can always turn it on Total Silence an nothing at all gets through.

SO, it isn't an application-set deal and isn't going through each app, it is "All apps are silenced, except this one I say is okay" kind of thing. Anyway, iOS must not have that concept, no big deal was just a thought.

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:19 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

RogueProeliator wrote:
In Android, for instance, the default Do Not Disturb allows Events & Alarms through

Apple does that as well but not really for application notifications, it's more for whether or not you allow inbound calls to penetrate the DND setting based on if they ring multiple times in a row or if they are in a particular contact category. It's a blanket setting saying that you won't get disturbed by any notification sound, notification or vibration except for any callers you allow through - nothing on an app-by-app basis.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 pm
mundmc offline
User avatar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

So here’s a not necessarily-indigo hack solution I found (but have not yet tested);

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/75567/how-to-have-a-specific-contact-make-a-ring-sound-even-in-silent-mode
“This is an old question but I stumbled on it when trying to find an answer for my iPhone 8. There is now a real solution to this problem— edit the contact and turn “Emergency Bypass On”. The text says it overrides Do Not Disturb, but I tested it and it overrides the silent switch too!”

So basically, phone is missing, use a phone-based plugin (provided the number is static), google voice, or whatever, with the “Emergency Bypass” feature. That’ll make it ring even on DND or vibrate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 15704
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

mundmc wrote:
So here’s a not necessarily-indigo hack solution I found (but have not yet tested);

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/75567/how-to-have-a-specific-contact-make-a-ring-sound-even-in-silent-mode
“This is an old question but I stumbled on it when trying to find an answer for my iPhone 8. There is now a real solution to this problem— edit the contact and turn “Emergency Bypass On”. The text says it overrides Do Not Disturb, but I tested it and it overrides the silent switch too!”

So basically, phone is missing, use a phone-based plugin (provided the number is static), google voice, or whatever, with the “Emergency Bypass” feature. That’ll make it ring even on DND or vibrate.


Nice sleuthing!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest