... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:14 pm
mundmc offline

Re: ... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

jay (support) wrote:
Nice sleuthing!

Yes! Praise from Jay! I’ll be installing Twillio this evening and trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 pm
mundmc offline

... ping my iPhone from an embedded script?

Follow up on this. Solved- albeit not how I planned.

1) Twilio is a neat service. Twilio is great in that I get a new local number, much like Google Voice.

2) I installed the Twilio plugin and was ready to go immediately.

3) On my family iphones, I added the Twilio number, and designated it an Emergency Bypass number (or something like that). The phones now ring for that number even if on DND or vibrate

4) I made action groups to call each phone

5) I published the action groups using the Alexa Hue Bridge plugin

6) I used the Alexa Routines feature to do away with the “turn on turn off” schema

SUCCESS

“Alexa, where is Nicole’s phone”
“Indigo is ringing Nicole’s phone now.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 pm
dnomode offline

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've used Indigo. I was using the iFindStuff plugin to send messages to my wife's iPhone as your all describing here.
Edit Actions.png
Edit Actions.png (66.35 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

And I was also able to play a sound and override the mute button on the iPhone. It would play the loud sound thats used by Apple when you select the Play Sound button in the Find My iPhone app.
Configure.png
Configure.png (25.16 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

It was awesome because she would accutally be able to hear the phone in her purse.

I've recently moved and I'm starting to set up my new home with Indigo and was bummed out to see that iFindStuff plugin is no longer working and not being updated. Looks like 2 factor authentication broke it. Apple provides app-specific passwords that don't expire. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397 I have several apps that use them. Would this be a good work around for a plugin like iFindStuff

Is there any chance to write a script by looking at the code to see what iFindStuff was doing to make this work and maybe use an app-specific passwords?

I wish I understood the code to figure it out myself.

Thanks guys.

Edmond

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:38 pm
mundmc offline

That stinks when HA apps/plug-ins break; I’ve totally been there.

I started this thread hoping that the thing you seek exists. Alas, it does not, hence the workaround.

Heck, in 2012, I was doing home occupancy by getting geo-coordinates from I cloud and doing some fancy 3D trigonometry (no joke, I used the radius of the Earth in a PHP script) and importing the distance into Indigo with AppleScript).

So much has changed. I would love if an intrepid plugin dev eloped restored this functionality, as I’m still in plugin diapers.