Control Page design best practices

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Control Page design best practices

Man, that's REALLY pretty.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:15 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks - all my pages are variations around blacks, grays and whites. A little color here and there when it conveys something like a change in status.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm
mundmc offline

This has been helpful. Helpful enough I am now paying Adobe a monthly fee for the rest of my life. Not unlike prior gyms I joined with industrious intentions.

I hope to give a status update by Monday. I’m already modeling the simple graphics around the Indigo app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm
noel1983 offline

Cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 pm
mundmc offline

noel1983 wrote:
Out of interest what’s the use case you’re looking to solve with control pages?

I’ve always loved the idea of decent control pages but i’m Not sure where they now fit in with modern Indigo HA life. (Still want them though!)

I realized I never replied to this, but I assumed it wasn’t addressed to me!

At a minimum, I want a clean iPhone 6/7 (retina resolution) page that contains relevant data, so I can check on the functioning of the occupants, house, Indigo, and the server Mac. I put a primitive info page below, and imagine this mainly as a source for other pages to grab status icons.

At a maximum, I want EVERYTHING in two clicks on my phone, and hotel style/ Iron man style infoscreens in my house.

Posted on
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am
mundmc offline

I may use a template akin to this (but I’m also posting it to get rid of the preview pic that had my IP address on it

Edit- that didn’t work. Little help here?

Posted on
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:21 am
noel1983 offline

I like the grid setup, I also kind of like action tiles for smart things, whilst crap in some ways the ease of just following the tile layout similar to windows phone style appeals

It’s the ‘design’ requirement that’s always been the barrier to me doing nothing decent with control pages! Ie my lack of creativity even with the great info and inspiration and shared files here

Posted on
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 am
mundmc offline

noel1983 wrote:
I like the grid setup, I also kind of like action tiles for smart things

Thanks- I am not a UX/UI designer by any means, so I’m trying to grab elements from Indigo Touch’s UI and Apple Home Kit (which I don’t use) as their dev’s know more about this stuff than I do.

Also, the benefit of the modular/tiled approach gives me freedom to rework it as necessary.

I spent more time doing pixel-math to decide the sizes than I have done before, and I hope that saves me future headaches.