Replacing an outlet with a KeypadLinc

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am
Redrocker offline

Replacing an outlet with a KeypadLinc

This may be more of a wiring question then an automation question, but I'd like advice before I go ahead and do something that makes sparks (wouldn't be the first time).

I recently purchased a new house that had an in-law apartment, that quickly turned into a man cave. The kitchen was torn out and a bar put in it's place, There are outlets where the backsplash once was, that are pretty much pointless, due to the layout, so I was wondering if I could yank one out and replace it with a KeypadLinc? I realize the hot and neutral wires are there, but there is no load going to a light. Basically, I'm thinking of using it to control a sound system, with the 8 button KeypadLinc to control various functions such as volume, input source etc.

Has anyone done this, and how is it wired?

Thanks in advance,

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Replacing an outlet with a KeypadLinc

There should be no reason you cannot do that, you still have a load, neutral and ground and that's the basic requirements to get a KPL wired. The only difference is that when it's a switch the load generally controls a light (#1 button on an 8 button layout) but since you won't have that then the #1 button won't do anything until you have a trigger in Indigo for it. You'll end up capping the red wire.

Oh, and to prevent sparks turn off your breaker :).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 am
Redrocker offline

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that would work, but like most major operations, I like a second opinion :)

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have a 3-4 that aren't wired to any load - just cap off the load wire on the KeypadLinc when you install it and you're good to go.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1