cool computer closet

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 am
kw123 offline

cool computer closet

I have put my mac pro, 24 port switch... etc, etc,.. in to small closet where all the network cables come together. - all together ~ 400 Watts

Now when the heating season starts I am starting to having a problem.
In order to cool the room I have added a fan into the ceiling of the room that blows air out into the attic and sucks in air from the adjacent room. When the AC is running that room is cooler than the closet. Now when the heat is on, there is no "cool" air in that room.

I am considering to adding a small room ac system, but they are all too big and oversized

here my question, has anyone found a compact solution like adding an AC unit into the ceiling that blows cool air into the room?

any suggestion welcome

Karl

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: cool computer closet

What are the actual temperatures in each room? Even if the heat is on, I would expect that the other room would still be cooler than the closet.

In my case, I have an HVAC duct into the equipment closet, and an exhaust fan to the outside. In the summer with the AC on all the time, I don't need to run the exhaust fan at all. We'll see how things go this winter when the AC isn't running very much. I might need the fan just to get some air flow. At some point I'll put the fan on a controllable switch and automate it.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:58 am
roussell offline

Does your home have a basement that you could pull cool air from, or possibly snake a long duct (dryer vent hose) from the attic/eave vents into the closet?

Terry

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm
kw123 offline

The room now gets to 78F, with the small ceiling fan running - if the door is closed.

The temps at the exit fans of the Mac Pro and UniFi switch are 104F+
I would like to get them below 100F

The room is on the second floor. SO in winter I could may be reverse the airflow and get cold air from the attic into the room, but this would require adding a filter to not get the dust etc from the attic into the living area.

thanks for the thoughts and ideas

Karl

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:29 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Personally I think those numbers are just fine and I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's 81F in my AV closet. And that's from a sensor near floor level.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

I’m designing a house now (in my head) and my idea is to have two registers (one high and one low) exchanging air with the next room or hallway. In the living space, they would look like typical return ducts—except they would both be open . If convection wasn’t enough, I would add a quiet fan to the lower one to pull air in.

That *seems* like it should be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Be wary of just doing vents to adjoining rooms. You don't get a lot of sound isolation that way. The fans on my POE switch and NAS are clearly audible if the door is open.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

Appreciate the guidance.

The AV closet will be in the basement where (I think) sound won’t be a concern. Definitely something to think about, though.

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have a crap-ton of equipment in my wiring closet - basically a full size rack is completely full - and a dedicated register is enough to keep it at a reasonable temperature. It does get a bit warm if the door is left shut too long. But a "bit too warm" is relative - probably similar to Joe's temperature. During the work day I usually close it off just the same, but I'll keep the temperature in the zone set around 73-ish, so it is getting a decent amount of air. I'd imagine in the basement you would be fine.

Karl, I wouldn't worry all that much about the MacPro's temperature - even prolonged at 40 degrees Celsius is generally considered okay by most people I've talked to about it.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 am
DaveL17 offline

Yeah, but what’s it like when you turn on the FURNACE?

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:57 am
rehafer offline

I’ve had a similar experience in that my bedroom is always the hottest room in the house [insert randy joke here]. I installed a Z-wave controlled vent.
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1044
Along with some temperature sensors, I shut off the hot air when not needed. Something may work for you.
Also, I’ve been told that if you install more than a few of these, you have to install pressure baffles in your duct work.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:19 pm
Korey offline

I have a 36RU rack bolted to the floor that is on a turntable roll out system in the office closet that holds everything needed for the media / automation for our home, Multiple amplifiers, Unifi Switches, Mac Mini's, Drobo's, Pre amps, yada yada yada.
We have no basement, I have installed a quiet bathroom ceiling fan that vents about 120CFM into the attic thru the attic access door and is controlled by an Insteon relay with a Oregon Scientific temperature sensor in the closet with Indigo taking care of the logic. Works very well!

Here are some pictures of it when I first installed it last year, I need to get in there and clean it up a bit from the last year of additions!
Attachments
Rack Front.jpg
Rack Front.jpg (196.77 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Closet Door Installed.jpg
Closet doors stay intact when rack spins.
Closet Door Installed.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
IMG_1401.jpg
Rack spun for access
IMG_1401.jpg (211.54 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Rack Exaust Fan.jpg
Exhaust Fan in attic access
Rack Exaust Fan.jpg (489.68 KiB) Viewed 3034 times

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:15 pm
kw123 offline

WOW

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:30 pm
Different Computers offline

I'm in the midst of an office renovation.

Here's mine, taken today as the electrician finished up :D
Attachments
IMG_3445.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Here's my AV closet. First with the room side door closed. Tempered tinted glass, 60" x 22".
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3900.JPG (230.58 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

With the door open. From top top bottom:
NAS and Mac mini with external drives.
UHD BluRay player, Sonos Connect, Harmony Hub, AppleTV 4K, Fire TV.
Switched plugging strip.
Drawer (remotes and such)
Denon AVR
Subwoofer amp
Monoprice 12 channel (6 zone) WHA amp
UPS.
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG (101.91 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

Back side of rack from interior closet door. This door is in the master suite hallway.
IMG_3898.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG (250.82 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

Networking patch panels, two UniFi switches (top one is POE), and cable organization inserts. Cable modem and UniFi USG router on shelf below.
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG (306.66 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)