How to extend range into outbuildings without neutral wiring

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 pm
rwobrien offline

How to extend range into outbuildings without neutral wiring

I got all excited about the fact that z-wave was able to control my lights in my home. The next step was to put an Aeon 6 multisensor in my little greenhouse and to have light controllers and sensors in my workshop and I also installed a Linear garage door controller.

Well, the garage, workshop and greenhouse have old wiring without a neutral wire. My home has aluminum siding that apparently is very effective in containing z-wave signals. I am seeking suggestions as to how to get z-wave communications to these outbuildings. I would be willing to install an ethernet hub in the garage if it could bridge the 2-way z-wave signals.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:57 pm
jalves offline

Re: How to extend range into outbuildings without neutral wi

How far away from the house is the greenhouse? Do you have any outside outlets on the house that you could plug in a z-wave device?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:17 pm
virgahyatt offline

Re: How to extend range into outbuildings without neutral wi

Zwave is wireless only so the lack of neutrals just limits which zwave products you can use it doesn't affect your ability to get the signal there. I would suggest putting some zwave bulbs in patio lights. Especially if you have any near windows or glass patio doors. This should help to propagate the signal to your outbuildings.

Page 1 of 1