Detecting mailbox opening

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:07 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Detecting mailbox opening

It's hot out there (SWFL). I don't want to go to the mailbox until I'm sure the mail lady has already been here.

I tried putting an Insteon Motion Sensor inside the mailbox, but the signal doesn't get to the house. I was pretty sure it wouldn't (heavy metal mailbox), but it was worth a shot.

It's 60-70 feet straight line from the mailbox to the closest powered Insteon or Z-wave devices that can repeat a signal. Stucco over concrete block exterior walls. I'm not sure any normal HA signals will get through that, unless I get a fairly high powered transmitter at the mailbox. And I can't do any really obvious modifications to the mailbox, it's a standardized design for the community.

I think one of my pre-wired security cam locations will have the mailbox in field of view, but not sure how I would detect and trigger on it.

Any really clever hacks out there?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:45 pm
Vangelis offline

Re: Detecting mailbox opening

1) Could try a lower frequency transmitter (similar to LightwaveRF here in the uk) as this will have longer range.

2) Could hack one of those 'Tide' gizmos. The ones used to reorder washing powder. Depends on your wifi signal strength however

3) If you CCTV is IP then it might have a digital input (my Axis cameras do) You could hook up a simple switch.

Vangelis

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Vangelis wrote:
1) Could try a lower frequency transmitter (similar to LightwaveRF here in the uk) as this will have longer range.

2) Could hack one of those 'Tide' gizmos. The ones used to reorder washing powder. Depends on your wifi signal strength however

3) If you CCTV is IP then it might have a digital input (my Axis cameras do) You could hook up a simple switch.

1. Not sure what's available here in the US. Anyone know US products for this?

2. Hmm. I'll have to take the phone out there and see. Might work.

3. Camera is on the house, not near the mailbox, so I don't think that'll help any.

Thanks for the ideas.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:01 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

How about an Insteon or Z-Wave window sensor on the outside of the mailbox or underneath it?

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
How about an Insteon or Z-Wave window sensor on the outside of the mailbox or underneath it?

You mean the vibration activated type? Not the mag switch kind?

That would be better than the sensor on the inside. Still not sure if it's close enough for either of those.

Which has better RF range? Insteon or Z-wave?

I guess I could try both and see if either works.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 pm
Swancoat offline

There's a thread on cocoon tech about this http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/2922 ... ox-sensor/

Basically, a few people have posted links to some products made for this with longer range.

My issues:
1. My mailbox is one of those community ones between 200 and 300 feet away. So the signal has to be at least strong enough to get that far.
2. How do I capture the signal. I don't have a z-wave installation here. One of the solutions has a dedicated receiver. Maybe I can wire the led indicator to an Insteon contact closure or something?
3. It's a community mailbox. I figure I run a 50% probability that the mailman rips it out because us US Postal Service property, or (more likely) he thinks its a bomb or something else stupid.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:16 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Could still use the Insteon wireless sensor, just use a close contact switch of some kind
on the mailbox door wired to the sensor wherever it needs to be within range.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:19 pm
FlyingDiver offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Could still use the Insteon wireless sensor, just use a close contact switch of some kind
on the mailbox door wired to the sensor wherever it needs to be within range.

Carl

Running a wire any distance away from the mailbox is a non-starter. It's on the other side of a sidewalk, and there's no way I'm getting a wire under the concrete.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:21 pm
kw123 offline

you could may be try:
the insteon triggerlincs have and external sensor input:

attach magnet on the door, inside
add reed relay inside in the box, closes when door closes = next to the magnet when door is closed
cable, can be VERY-VERY thin(*) from reed relay to the insteon triggerlinc external sensor input, positioned visible from your house- paint it in the color of the environment
put an insteon ac powered device outside as far as you can towards the mailbox--- insteon ac power devices relay the signals. max number of hubs = 3 I believe - single hub -hub range: 150 ft unobstructed line-of-sight, so for 300ft it might just work with one hub in the middle.

That might (a) do the distance, and (b) be not visible to the mailman

Karl

(*) lacquer coated copper wire e.g. used in magnets

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:09 am
berkinet offline

Some comments...

Detecting the arrival of mail:
      In principle, the best way to detect the arrival of mail (actually the opening of the mailbox) is to monitor the mailbox door. If it tilts up and down, then a tilt sensor on the door is needed. A nice thing about mounting the tilt sensor inside the door is when the door opens, the sensor is momentarily outside the mailbox with better wireless signaling. If the door swings open horizontally, some type of magnetic switch works better. Tilt sensors typically use a mercury switch allowing a ball of mercury to roll between or away from a pair of contacts. You might also use a load cell under a piece of lightweight material to create a false floor.
    Connecting the sensor to Indigo:
      You have several options all depend on the interface(s) you use to connect Indigo to the outside world. You have discussed Z-Wave and Insteon and you might also consider using an alarm system interface (if you have one) or some custom or home-brew system perhaps using Zigbee or other proprietary wireless systems. Alarm systems work well since they offer a wide range of well powered wireless sensors.

Wired is also possible, and IMHO, preferred. Getting under the sidewalk is really not very difficult. Dig a small hole on each side of the sidewalk and then use a hose and nozzle as a hydraulic drill to connect the two holes. Finally, push a piece of old garden hose trough the hole to act as a conduit.

I'd summarize by saying. choose how you want to sense the arrival of mail first, then worry about the signaling. If you can't get the signaling to work with your first choice sensor, start over, etc. Also, don't forget you will need some means of dealing the signal s from your mailbox. Typically, it is best to have the opening trigger some sort of visible flag (Lamp, keypadlinc button, on screen notice, etc.) which you reset manually after getting your mail.

Good luck and please post back as you progress.

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:24 am
wiery offline

Am using fibaro door window sensor with external magnetic contact, it's unreliable so waiting on wirelesstag's to be delivered, very long range and highly sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

You know, if you can't get a signal out there to integrate with Indigo, you might at least be able to do some kind of visual indicator using one of the suggested methods. Put some small (easily concealed/blended in) light on the rear of the mailbox that is visible from the house. Would need to reset or something after checking the mail, I guess, but if worst came to worst in terms of integration might at least prevent your unnecessary trips out.

Page 1 of 1