Glass Break Sensors

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 am
akimball offline

Glass Break Sensors

Hi,

We've decided to add some glass break sensors to our indigo based system (I also have a GE Concord Alarm system which I could use... prefer Indigo because of flexability). I really know little about glass break sensors but I like that they can be left on 24/7 regardless of whether we're home or not. Here is where I'm at:

1) I know that Insteon does not make a glass break sensor, but I realize that I could use an IOLinc, a TriggerLinc, or some EZIO module to interface with a 3rd party glass break sensor.
2) I've seen a line of glass break sensors made by Honeywell which many people use with wired professionally installed systems. Honeywell glass break sensors have very good reviews.
3) I'm having a hard time finding electrical information on the Honeywell sensors.
4) In my uneducated mind, I would want a glass break sensor to work much like the Insteon Leak sensor... in other words, once it goes off, it "latches" and then you locate the sensor, presumeably discover the reason for the glass break alarm activation, then you reset the device. I would like a signal from the glass break sensor of some DC voltage, or even if the sensor has a relay closure which pulls the line to some predetermined voltage.
5) The honeywell sensors have 4 or more pins and are powered by 9 to 14 volts. A couple of pins for power and a couple of pins for signal... they also talk about a resistor terminator for end of line termination. I don't know yet if the sensors send out a "blip" or if they latch or if they send out who knows what? That information is still fuzzy for me.

I have a way to wire up these glass break sensors for most locations in my home; I was planing on using CAT5 for both power and signals.

Questions:

Are my assumptions about how glass break sensors work any good and how I would interface to them correct? Any advice on connecting such sensors?

Any recommendations for particular glass break sensors? (I'm not looking for wireless solutions)

TIA,
Last edited by akimball on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Glass Break Sensors

[MODERATOR NOTE] Moved to a more general forum since this is less about a specific device implementation and more a general request for information on a technology/class.

Unfortunately, I can be of no help as I have no clue how those things work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56 am
akimball offline

Thanks for the steering and consideration Jay. I hope someone on here has some experience with GBS's.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 pm
akimball offline

All, I apologize for answering my own question... but I found a glass break Sensor that I like made for GE systems.
Brand name is InterLogix
Part Number 5822A
Distributor (best price today): 123securityproducts.com
Price: $33.84 each
41XZqiv+ZjL._SX425_.jpg
5822A-W
41XZqiv+ZjL._SX425_.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

Includes a tamper switch in line with the glass break sensor output. According to the data sheet, this runs on 9 to 16VDC, 12mA Typical, 25mA Max. It has a "relay output", normally closed which opens for 4 seconds upon alarm... or upon tampering. This makes the device very easy to wire in series with other devices in case you want to cover a really big room... maybe a large great room, and only use one I/O input for the entire room. The device works with a large number of plate glass windows up to 1/4" thick, tempered or untempered glass, including safety glass. They sell a glass break alarm testing device for $34, probably worth having unless you don't mind smashing actual glass. The distance from this 360-degree omnidirectional sensor to the windows in your room is minimum 1-meter and maximum 7.6-meters (or about 25-feet), so this one device can potentially cover a room almost 50-feet in size.... I wouldn't press my luck like that. These sensors listen for the characteristic sounds that glass makes when it breaks and are said to be very immune to screeching children and high-pitched pets. They can be set off accidentally if somebody breaks glass accidentally and there are a few reports that very loud sounds of just the right type from a loud home theater installation may occasionally set off a false alarm.

I've decided to install 10 or 12 of these in my home, one in each room that I have ground-level window(s). As I mentioned above, the sensors can be left activated 24/7. I like that. To start I've ordered 4 of these devices.

For my Insteon input device I've settled on (and just ordered) another EZIO8SA. It has 8 outputs and up to 7 inputs. Best current price on this is from SmartEnit.com

Once I get all the parts together I'll spend a week experimenting before the final installation. I'll try to get back here and do a writeup after I'm finished and happy with the results... in case anyone is interested. I will include any notes or tips for programming Indigo... however I'm not an Indigo grand master yet. I'm still interested in alternate Glass Break Sensor products if anyone has any recommendations. TIA,

-Al

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 pm
kw123 offline

try the ESP arduino solution : $10 +cables+ box, 10 usable digital inputs

Karl

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:30 pm
akimball offline

Thanks Karl, is there an insteon SDK or something that will be needed? I'm unfamiliar with arduino-to-indigo interfaces. The cost sounds right.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:44 pm
ELWOOD offline

The glass break detectors do work well in most cases and can be left on 24 hrs. However they will not detect a window or door being opened. You also have to take into account
the type of glass and heavy drapes and blinds when they are closed will greatly decrease there detection range. The kitchen will be the main room for false alarms. Banging metal
post and pans will at times activate them. Dropping a metal pan on the floor will probably set it off. Also load music will activate the detector with some types of music.

Most glass break detectors can bet tested by clapping your hands. This will not activate the detector but is used to see if it is listening and will cause it indicator light to blink.

The glass break testing device will test the coverage range of the detectors. To use it you need to put the detector in the test mode. This is done by holding the test device about an inch
from the sensor pushing the test button, that starts the test mode. Now you hold the tester at the window glass and press the test button, if the sensor is in range its red LED will flash.
You want to try it at all the windows you are trying to cover. Also do it with the curtains closed and the tester behind the curtains.

With your alarm system on and you try to set the alarm off using the tester it will probably not set off the alarm it only is used to determine range.

Elwood

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:01 pm
akimball offline

Great information! Thank you. In my case I have door and window sensors and most of the windows are covered (or will be covered) with large blade plantation shutters... which may be worse than drapes. Dunno. I kinda like the idea that the sensor could be set off by other random accidents which occur in the house... Currently I have motion sensors in every room with a window or door so the glass break sensors are just redundant security. The sensors I've ordered as said to be pretty good by other reviewers.

I don't see every room every day so we're hoping for enhanced security with the glass break sensors. We do have a constellation of exterior HD camera's which offer the first line of defense. This spring I'll be installing some yard sensors to enhance the pool and garden area's outside.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:32 pm
ELWOOD offline

Your motion detectors are probably the most important part of the system. But are only on when you are out. Having the glass breaks on 24 hrs will
give you coverage when you are in the house, any false alarms will most likely be cause by you when you are in the house and you can cancel any activation
you caused .

If you are looking to outside motion detector take a look at Optex's outdoor detectors. There VX-402R (http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/vx-402r)
its battery powered and will accept most wireless transmitters. Will work with insteon transmitter just need to watch the range of the transmitter. It used a duel beam
infrared detectors so it will not be activated by animals. The dear and bears will set it off.

Elwood

Page 1 of 1