Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 am
DaveL17 offline

Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

We are making ever more use of streaming and starting to run afoul of caps. Before paying for more data, I thought I'd try to see about ways of minimizing data demands. Since I use an AirPort Extreme (and because Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has taken away snmp) I need to get a new router to monitor traffic locally. I've seen various discussions here about DD-WRT and am thinking about pulling the trigger.

The needs:
- stability. The wife works from home and if I do anything to interfere with that, I will be killed.

- at least 3 LAN ports. Four would be better, but not a deal breaker.

- wireless range. I have less than ideal router placement, so range should be at least as good as the AE.

For those that use DD-WRT, I'd also be interested in hearing your experience with the firmware.

TIA,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:36 am
kw123 offline

Re: Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Just a small remark. I am not using all the lan ports , just one and put a switch in front of it to remove load from the router.
In addition I have placed 5 ghz older routers(as access points through Ethernet) at the far corners of the house
This way the 2.4 ghz with longer range is supplemented locally with the shorter range 5 ghz by the other 2 routers
Seems to work ok
Karl
and a merry Christmas

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10 am
DaveL17 offline

kw123 wrote:
Just a small remark. I am not using all the lan ports , just one and put a switch in front of it to remove load from the router.
In addition I have placed 5 ghz older routers(as access points through Ethernet) at the far corners of the house
This way the 2.4 ghz with longer range is supplemented locally with the shorter range 5 ghz by the other 2 routers
Seems to work ok
Karl
and a merry Christmas

Thanks Karl - what router do you use?

The reason that I want at least 3 LAN ports is that presently one is going from the router to my switch, the second is a direct connection for my Ooma VOIP, and I'd like to have one in reserve for a quick connect when trouble shooting (bypassing my LAN.)

Right now, I have my eye on the ASUS (RT-AC68U).

Dave

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:24 am
Korey offline

Hey Dave!

Take a look at the Ubiquiti Stuff:

No DDWRT, but just as powerful and priced very well!

https://www.ubnt.com

I use the Edgerouter Lite https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

With a POE 24port switch: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching-ro ... fi-switch/

Along with couple of AC Access Points https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/

This router would work for you: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x-sfp/ OR https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

Along with this AP: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/ or https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/ Powered via POE from the router.

Check Ebay or Amazon for best prices!

Happy Holidays!

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hey Korey!

That looks like some really nice stuff. It'll take me a while to dig through what you've listed; yet on the face, there are several things I like about the gear (like the ability to hang a POE AP at a spot that's nowhere near the router!) I also need to bone up on the software control, but that looks nice too.

Thanks man, and Happy Holidays to you!
Dave

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:20 pm
mclass offline

Take a look at the FritzBox range. I've operated 3 of these at three different locations with great success and reliability. No DDWRT, but features include 5/2.4 GHz, built in VoIP with DECT handsets, answering machine that'll email messages (effectively a mini PABX), VPN, DSL diagnostics, guest access, repeater, and many other features I'm still discovering after about 5 years use,

You may gather I'm a fan-boy!!!

Happy holidays to all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:41 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have two networks in my house - one for work and the other for home use... I have an older Netgear router running DD-WRT that I purchased with DD-WRT pre-installed from FlashRouters.com. I would not buy another Netgear... they aren't exactly bad per se but the other manufacturers seem to have passed them up. If I were buying one for DD-WRT today I would go with one of the ASUS routers as well.

Having said that, I recently dumped DD-WRT on my home network and went with a combination of a TP-LINK router (non-wireless) and Ubiquiti APs for the wireless access. I can't say enough about loving this setup. From a setup perspective, the freedom to separate the APs from the router is amazing in terms of getting the best range. You can also add additional APs to improve your coverage and they have an amazing zero-handoff configuration so that the APs handle the handoff, not relying on the client to switch connection points. I walk around the house w/ videos or other connections open all the time and never have any issues.

Lastly, the Ubiquiti controller has more stats and options than you will ever want or care to see. I plan to write a plugin for it in the near future as well...

My only complaint about the whole thing (and this is trivial) is that the AP's PoE is at 24V so is not 802.3af (or whatever it is) compliant. You can buy a 24V injector, individual Ubiquiti in-line voltage drops (to use w/ standard PoE) or use a wall-wart injector (included).

Adam

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm
Korey offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Lastly, the Ubiquiti controller has more stats and options than you will ever want or care to see. I plan to write a plugin for it in the near future as well...

Adam

Woo Hoo! Lets see that Plugin! :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:04 am
kw123 offline

i am using ASUS 68 (2 years old) with merlin OP-sys. It has some great wifi options, and you can telnet into it: reboot, restart wifi and some other commands. Has some minimal SMPT support.

The best feature is the wifi status: you can see which device is associated. Even when they are asleep (Power Save Mode) and not visible to ping etc. That makes a great presence indicator.

Karl

Posted on
Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:42 am
DaveL17 offline

mclass wrote:
Take a look at the FritzBox range. I've operated 3 of these at three different locations with great success and reliability. No DDWRT, but features include 5/2.4 GHz, built in VoIP with DECT handsets, answering machine that'll email messages (effectively a mini PABX), VPN, DSL diagnostics, guest access, repeater, and many other features I'm still discovering after about 5 years use,

You may gather I'm a fan-boy!!!

Happy holidays to all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, that range does a lot of stuff!

It's not entirely clear to me that the range is available in the States legitimately, however; there are two models available on Amazon (7390 and 7490) and the pricing is weird. One seller from Delaware is selling a 7390 for $600 with $70 shipping! I didn't see a "where to buy" on the company website.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted on
Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:54 am
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Having said that, I recently dumped DD-WRT on my home network and went with a combination of a TP-LINK router (non-wireless) and Ubiquiti APs for the wireless access. I can't say enough about loving this setup.

Thanks Adam - that aspect appeals to me too. Our basement staircase is right in the center of the house and an AP mounted in the first floor stairwell would likely reach the entire house with no problem at all. Much better than my current setup.

Dave

Posted on
Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:54 am
DaveL17 offline

kw123 wrote:

i am using ASUS 68 (2 years old) with merlin OP-sys.

Thanks Karl.

Posted on
Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

Korey wrote:

Hey Korey - I was doing some reading on the Ubiquiti stuff and there was some debate on whether to go AC over N due to stability issues of the AC implementation. How has yours been?

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 am
Korey offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Korey wrote:

Hey Korey - I was doing some reading on the Ubiquiti stuff and there was some debate on whether to go AC over N due to stability issues of the AC implementation. How has yours been?

Hey Dave,

I have had no problems with the 2 older AP AC units I have. I have them on the same SSID on different channels. (no handoff)

I was considering selling the 2 I have and getting the newer versions UAP‑AC‑PRO as they are $100.00 less :shock: But why fix it if it's not broken. ( for now!)

Apparently zero hand off is not yet implemented in the new AC line, but they are working on it..
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wir ... 431#M78545

Overall I have been quite happy with the Ubiquiti line. 8)

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:37 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Korey. At this point, I don't expect to need ZHO at all so that shouldn't be an issue. With my planned AP placement, no indoor client should be further than about 30' from the AP, and we are all wood construction so I *think* we should be good there. If the so-called troubles with AC just result in everything dropping to n (presuming a solid n stack) then that should be okay too. I was more worried about APs constantly rebooting or constantly dropping connections and the like.

I must say that I'm leaning very strongly towards Ubiquiti at this point. That said, my spare time over the holiday break has been working on moving our SAT/DVR to the rack and deploying whole-home distributed HDMI for "She Who Must be Obeyed" and if I start a new project before finishing that, I will be in deep trouble. :D

Thanks man,
Dave