Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Posted on
Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:26 pm
howartp offline

Re: Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

kw123 wrote:
i am using ASUS 68 (2 years old) with merlin OP-sys. It has some great wifi options, and you can telnet into it: reboot, restart wifi and some other commands. Has some minimal SMPT support.

Ooh, need to look at mine; also ASUS DD-WRT; interested if it's got telnet so I can script restart from Indigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:46 pm
RogueProeliator offline

interested if it's got telnet so I can script restart from Indigo!

Maybe you should join Dave in a search and get one you don't need to reboot... :)

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:58 am
howartp offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
interested if it's got telnet so I can script restart from Indigo!

Maybe you should join Dave in a search and get one you don't need to reboot... :)

:-)

I've just realised whilst writing this reply I was confused last night.

The router is fine, it's our modem that isn't! It is stable when running - but after we've had the power off (intentionally or otherwise) it needs rebooting after it boots up before t'internet works.

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am
DaveL17 offline

I think it will be the Ubiquiti stuff for me. I'm going to go with a router and access point, and keep using my existing HP ProCurve 1810-24G Switch (J9450A) (which has been bullet proof for me.) Given the 122m range on the access points, one unit will certainly be more than enough.

Thanks all!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:33 am
kw123 offline

I am interested in the Ubiquiti solution. One question for someone who has it installed before I consider that route :

wifi clients: are they registered / visible ( and with what status) when the wifi device (i.e. iPhone) is in PSM (Power Safe Mode)?
I would like to be able to continue to use the capability from the ASUS routers - they show iPhone "associated" when in PSM.

In the manual I could only see "connected" not any other states.

thanks
Karl

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm
edwazere offline

It's not a whole plug in, just a quick hack, but I've used the ubiquiti api to get presence for my phone and my wife's phone.

Happy to share if anyone's interested. It's not rocket surgery.

I believe they continue to show as connected when in power save move. There is an icon in the guide to show this.

I've put in a number of ubiquiti systems, including 4 AP in our house.

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm
Korey offline

edwazere wrote:
It's not a whole plug in, just a quick hack, but I've used the ubiquiti api to get presence for my phone and my wife's phone.

Happy to share if anyone's interested. It's not rocket surgery.

I believe they continue to show as connected when in power save move. There is an icon in the guide to show this.

I've put in a number of ubiquiti systems, including 4 AP in our house.

I would be interested, pass it on please!

I'll bet Dave could turn it into a plugin when he gets his new Ubiquiti APs!

:D :D :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:15 pm
kw123 offline

how much work is it to set it up and at what level do you have to operate at:. just config or some programming? or better how long is the down time... = how long does wife not have access to internet

and how difficult is it to set up a backup internet connection?

thx

Karl

Posted on
Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:11 pm
edwazere offline

I'm afraid I've only used the ubiquiti wireless stuff, not their routers.

I'm a Mikrotik router guy I'm afraid, and getting those set up right can be a slow process if you have a moderately complex network.

Be aware that the Zero Handoff stuff on unifi sounds like a great idea, but can have problems in use. The behaviour can be a bit strange - my phone would regularly roam to the living room AP from the bedroom, despite being 4 feet from the bedroom AP. There's a lot more to it, but I'd advise reading the ubiquiti forums, where the Ubiquiti staff seem to spend their time telling people not to use the zero handoff!

Anyway, my quick hack looks like this:
Code: Select all
from unifi.controller import Controller
uc = Controller('192.168.1.12’, 'admin', ‘password’, '8443', 'v4')

clients = uc.get_clients()
edFound = False
lisaFound = False
for client in clients:
   #indigo.server.log(client['mac'])
   if client['mac'] == 'c1:ee:f1:50:4d:11':
      edFound = True
   if client['mac'] == 'd1:21:be:ed:1e:11':
      lisaFound = True

newVar = indigo.variables["EdPhoneHome"]
if edFound:
   indigo.variable.updateValue(newVar, "true")
   #indigo.server.log('Ed found')
else:
   indigo.variable.updateValue(newVar, "false")
   #indigo.server.log('Ed NOT found')

newVar = indigo.variables["LisaPhoneHome"]
if lisaFound:
   indigo.variable.updateValue(newVar, "true")
   #indigo.server.log('Lisa found')
else:
   indigo.variable.updateValue(newVar, "false")
   #indigo.server.log('Lisa NOT found')

You'll need this: https://github.com/calmh/unifi-api

I just run it on a scheduled task and know whose phone is home.

It was a quick hack/proof of concept which I was thinking of turning into a plugin, but not got around to yet.
Hope it's helpful to someone.
Ed.

Posted on
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:00 pm
Korey offline

kw123 wrote:
how much work is it to set it up and at what level do you have to operate at:. just config or some programming? or better how long is the down time... = how long does wife not have access to internet

thx

Karl

Hi Karl,

I assume you are talking about one of the Ubiquiti edgemax routers?

Installation was very easy, there are wizards to walk you thru configuration.

The ports can be configured for fallback and /or load balancing.

I switched over from an old Linksys running Tomato firmware and was up and running with in 10 minutes. it's all quite straight forward with the ability to dive in as deep as you need.

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It was a quick hack/proof of concept which I was thinking of turning into a plugin, but not got around to yet.

I started looking into a plugin -- I investigated that GitHub library, but it does not work on the latest versions of the controllers as they seem to have discontinued the v3 API that had been around a while under v4.x of the controller software. SO, might not want to upgrade for a bit! :-)

I'm looking into a full plugin, though, just have to find a bit of time to wade through the options as the API is barely documented.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Note that most of us on this thread are using the Ubiquiti WiFi Access Points, but using another brand router... so there is zero downtime in setting up the WiFi portion. The second connection, therefore, is not an issue since you are not talking about routing.

I use a TP-LINK router that provides two WAN inputs and you can load balance or switch on error, etc. You might look into their small business line that has two WANs if a backup connection interests you. (I THINK mine was listed as small business... I can look up the model if interested)

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:55 am
kw123 offline

Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

One of the problems i had was there are Too many neighbors and hence the 2ghz band is overcrowded
One trick that worked was to fix my channel to #1 and eventually the other routers decided to switch to other bands. Since then my setup is very stable and has good though put.
How is this handled when you have multiply access points. Do they pick their bands individually, are they all the same?

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:31 am
RogueProeliator offline

How is this handled when you have multiply access points. Do they pick their bands individually, are they all the same?

It depends on how you set things up... I have mine handing off connections seamlessly and, in that case, you fix the APs at a single channel (across the entire group). I have mine locked into Channel 10, for instance, as my scans showed that consistently the most interference-free for my location.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm
edwazere offline

I started looking into a plugin -- I investigated that GitHub library, but it does not work on the latest versions of the controllers as they seem to have discontinued the v3 API that had been around a while under v4.x of the controller software. SO, might not want to upgrade for a bit! :-)

I'm using a v4 controller. The 'v4' at the end of the create of the Controller object tells it to use v4 rather than v3. I'll admit that took me a while to figure out!

Cheers,
Ed.