Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Thanks Joe. Are you accessing through Prism with the Indigo client? I thought that wasn't possible.

I an access via Prism in Safari, but I'd like to have full control of Indigo --so I'll try to see if port-forwarding is what's stopping me (I assume that it is.)

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Thanks Joe. Are you accessing through Prism with the Indigo client? I thought that wasn't possible.

I an access via Prism in Safari, but I'd like to have full control of Indigo --so I'll try to see if port-forwarding is what's stopping me (I assume that it is.)

Dave

Indigo Touch works through the reflector. If you want the use the full client, I guess you need to do port forwarding.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm
Korey offline

DaveL17 wrote:
For those that have an UBNT Edge Router, how have you handled WAN access to your Indigo Server? I haven't been able to get direct access (through the Indigo client) since installing my new router so I'm unable to connect (I suspect that it's because I need to expressly open the port.) But it got me to thinking that direct-VPN might be an even better approach.

What are y'all doing?

Dave

I port forward in the edge router..

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm
RogueProeliator offline

(I suspect that it's because I need to expressly open the port.) But it got me to thinking that direct-VPN might be an even better approach.

Creating a VPN would be far more secure than opening the Indigo port to the world for OS X client access... and have the advantage of securing any communication back to your home network if you needed it for something else (e.g. screen sharing, file access, etc.)

Only real down side is that you would have to connect to the VPN each time before launching the client, but shouldn't be a huge deal. I'm not familiar with the Edge router, but most of those VPNs are not all that hard to setup via the web GUI.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Indigo Touch works through the reflector. If you want the use the full client, I guess you need to do port forwarding.

Yeah, Indigo Touch is no problem. I'm on my way to VPN land I think. The full client worked out of the gate with my old Airport Extreme, but the EdgeRouter needs a bit more love (and I'm glad.)

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 pm
DaveL17 offline

Korey wrote:
I port forward in the edge router..

Hi Korey! Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Creating a VPN would be far more secure than opening the Indigo port to the world for OS X client access... and have the advantage of securing any communication back to your home network if you needed it for something else (e.g. screen sharing, file access, etc.)

Only real down side is that you would have to connect to the VPN each time before launching the client, but shouldn't be a huge deal. I'm not familiar with the Edge router, but most of those VPNs are not all that hard to setup via the web GUI.

Adam

Thanks Adam, I think that's what I'm going to do. As I just replied to Joe, the full client was able to connect through the old AE, but I think UBNT has the port locked down by default. I think I'll go the VPN route because I'm a fan of "far more secure." :D

I have been using Team Viewer (which is fine) but not a great user experience for anything more complicated than going in to reset a plugin and whatnot.

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have been using Team Viewer (which is fine) but not a great user experience for anything more complicated than going in to reset a plugin and whatnot.

Oh, for that you can just go into Domotics Pad... oh wait, your WIFE can restart a plugin, just not you. Got it. :-)

Posted on
Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:58 am
DaveL17 offline

Well played sir.

Well played.