Dog accessible button

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:21 am
GoBecky offline

Dog accessible button

Ok… so bear with me… I should test it by taking a single piece of wire and connect the two terminals you mention… but then what? Ie, how will I know it's worked (or not)?

If it does work, and we snip off the jack, will there be more than one wire inside? Will it matter which goes to GND and which goes to S?

EDIT: is there any chance the problem is with the switch part of the switch? Or the way we are using it? (Does it have to be held down for a certain amount of time for the Iowa Linc to pick it up, for example? Although again : the LED flashes even with the quickest tap.) Or any way to troubleshoot that before I potentially cut off its jack? (Although I suppose if it still doesn't work with the I/O Linc we can always rewire the jack back on…)
Last edited by GoBecky on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a wheelchair user & use Indigo to make my home & office accessible & safe without the expense of ECU's: door openers, emergency alerts, & even buttons my service dog can push to activate triggers! Feel free to PM fo info/advice.

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dog accessible button

Correct, just use a single piece of wire (or roll up some aluminum foil into a wire, or use a bent paper clip) to connect those 2 terminals. If it works the relay will click (assuming you have the output relay to mirror input sensor still enabled) and the message should be logged to Indigo's Event Log. Oh, and unplug the switch's jack from the I/O-Linc before you try it.

And yes, there should be 2 wires once you snip off the connector. It won't matter which wire goes on GND versus S.

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 am
GoBecky offline

Ok, trying it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a wheelchair user & use Indigo to make my home & office accessible & safe without the expense of ECU's: door openers, emergency alerts, & even buttons my service dog can push to activate triggers! Feel free to PM fo info/advice.

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am
GoBecky offline

Aluminum foil was a success! Searching for wire strippers. Watch this space for video of a dopey black lab ringing a chime to summon help!

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm
GoBecky offline

Spoke to soon. Is it possible that there's only one copper wire inside? That's what it looks like. Or really a ton of tiny ones twisted together. If we untwist them and try half in one terminal and the rest in the other, would that theoretically work?

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Sounds like there is a center insulated copper wire, then an outer shell (sometimes like mesh/foil) that is the other wire. So if you can twist up the outer shell to use it as one of the wires then it should work.

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
GoBecky offline

Ok! That worked, but not consistently - I think we need to get a lower guage wire and screws to get good contact. But we are in the right path! Thanks so much. We are going to work on it more this weekend and will check back in to let you know how it went!

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 pm
durosity offline

Looking forward to this video of the dog using it :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:36 pm
GoBecky offline

durosity wrote:
Looking forward to this video of the dog using it :D

We have already started training him on the switch, even though right now it's just for a treat... if I have time tomorrow I will do a video of that! In the meantime, here are links to a couple photos and a video from my IG feed. He is 7/8 golden retriever, 1/8 lab; 70 lbs and 25 months old. We have been a team for aabout 4 months. Oh, and his name is Teriyaki. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/8Txto5Enp9/
https://www.instagram.com/p/8Mms8aknne/
https://www.instagram.com/p/-wyCg4knqX/

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

He's a handsome boy. My father's last seeing eye dog was also a golden-lab mix - must be something good about that combination.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn