How do I wire a ToggleLinc into a 3-way circuit?

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:47 pm
AlaskaDave offline

How do I wire a ToggleLinc into a 3-way circuit?

I have some outdoor flood lights with switches in both my garage (1 bundle of three wire w/ground) and a 5 switch panel in the house with a switch also for the outdoor floods. The 5 switch panel in the house is quite congested and already has a toggle link for my frond door light so thought I would place a ToggleLinc in the garage. I remember hearing somewhere that One ToggleLinc can be used in a 3-way circuit but can't find anything that illustrates this. Anyone done this and can provide tips and how they did it?

I tried it myself in the garage location and had the switch light on but control of the floods did not happen.

Thanks for any help, it would be great to have control of these lights as they often get left on.

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:46 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Re: How do I wire a ToggleLinc into a 3-way circuit?

Found this post: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2742&p=14874&hilit=1+togglelinc+in+3+way+circuit#p14874 Looks like I can't. Looking at this thread, would it be bad to place two ToggleLinc's next to each other, would they interfere? I could hard-wire the garage switch and place the ToggleLinc inside the house but fear having two together could be an issue.

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have a bank of 4 SwitchLincs right next to each other and they are fine.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:20 am
awtyler offline

This may be too late for you, AlaskaDave, but may help someone else.

I have successfully wired in a single Micro On/Off with sense wires to control a 3-way circuit with two standard 3-way toggle switches, but whether it can be done depends on the wiring. If you have hot and neutral wires from the breaker in both boxes, in addition to your travel wires for the 3-way switch, then it should be possible.

I've attached a picture of how mine is wired. Make sure to cap the purple sense #2 wire.

The 110v from the left-side breaker wires is switched, and controls the sense wire, while the 110v from the right-side breaker wires is switched by the Micro and powers the light. I don't think there would be any problem with the powered wires coming from separate breakers, but mine were on the same circuit.

Also note that 3-way switches may have the screws in different locations than the ones in the picture. Usually the black screw will be the "common" screw, and the brass screws will be travelers, regardless of their location on the switch.
Attachments
3w-with-micro-on-off.png
3w-with-micro-on-off.png (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Page 1 of 1