Evohome vs Stella TRV's

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:11 pm
petematheson offline

Evohome vs Stella TRV's

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a little more control over my heating, considering we're getting into winter time now! (heating is on)
I was looking at the Stella TRV's, however a lot of feedback on here says they're not that reliable (break often) and additional temperature sensors (fibaro motion sensors) are needed to get a true reading of the temperature in each room.

A friend of mine who uses Vera keeps raving about his Honeywell Evohome system with TRV's (he also says he has a 2-zone nest setup). Whilst the TRV's cost more than the Stella's, once you add the cost of a fibaro sensor for each room the Honeywell quickly becomes the cheaper option.

Any recommendations or suggestions here?

I have a Nest thermostat, and that's about it so far. I can't figure out how the nest & evohome talk to each other (can they?) and what I would actually need for the evohome.
I guess a controller: http://www.vesternet.com/evohome-wifi-c ... ostat-pack plus lots of the TRV's: http://www.vesternet.com/honeywell-evoh ... i-zone-kit

Can anyone advise what type of integration / functionality I can get out of this?
I'm aware there's no direct integration with Indigo yet, but heard mentions of IFTTT integration so could perhaps do some clever things using that?

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Evohome vs Stella TRV's

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to a more appropriate forum since it's not about Z-Wave devices (directly).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:33 pm
petematheson offline

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 pm
wiery offline

You could continue with the nest and evohome TRV and use the IFTT channels that both have. I have the boiler module and UFH relay module and waiting on electrician to install so should be able to advise better. I'm replacing the Nest's that I have as I want one controller and also have the hot water kit. Nest is great until you have multiple zones and then its weaknesses come to light, plus the fact it can't do hot water. Nest need to sort this out soon if they don't want to be bypassed but will let you know more once I get the system installed.

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:47 pm
autolog offline

I can only comment on the Stella-Zs. :)

They have generally been reliable for me (with the odd one or two problems).
I am using them with my Stella-Z Plugin.

They are not perfect - the issue of them being located too close to the radiator is one - I am not sure how the Evo home would be better in this respect. The fact that Evo home suggest using a remote thermostat maybe indicates that they are similar in this respect?

I have only fitted remote stats in the critical rooms and use the Stella-Z only in non-critical rooms.

I have been reworking my Stella-Z Plugin (as a background activity) to improve how it handles the Stella-Zs + implement performance enhancements / code improvements (The Stella-Z Plugin was the first one I wrote ;-) )
However, I am reluctant to complete the rewrite before Indigo 7 is released as I am hoping that Indigo 7 will address a number of areas that would vastly improve how the Stella-Z's could be handled - features I have requested whilst developing the Plugin.

How many radiators are you looking to control?

Posted on
Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:41 pm
petematheson offline

Around 15 of them?

I'm assuming with the Stella's and your plugin I could create schedules for when the Radiator's come on - or potentially presence triggers, such as if there's no activity in a room for 10 minutes then turn off the radiator etc.. ?

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:49 am
autolog offline

Ok - That shouldn't be a problem as I have thirteen radiators I am controlling.

Yes, you can set schedules. There is reasonably detailed documentation here: Stella-Z Thermostat Controller (V2.1.5) Information

The plugin doesn't handle presence detection itself.

An advantage of the evohome system is that it is a self contained system that doesn't depend on Indigo to operate. The Stella-Z can't be operated manually (save for pressing a little button) to wake it up; the evohome has control available at the radiator.

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:16 am
wiery offline

The evohome can only have 12 zones so you would have to group some of the TRV's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 am
petematheson offline

I've just ordered 8 of them to start with, as well as 8 Fibaro Motion sensors to put in those same rooms to do presence detection and temperature monitoring.
Lots of new toys to play with!

A shame you can't control them locally though - I'll have to teach my wife how to use this system :)

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 am
petematheson offline

One question - can the Nest be used alongside the Evohome - or is it a case of one OR the other?

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:59 am
wiery offline

It's more no than yes, without the evohome boiler control you can only line up your schedules of evohome and nest to match each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:46 pm
autolog offline

So it is Stella-Zs you have ordered? I thought it was but got confused by your subsequent Nest / evohome question :?

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm
petematheson offline

For now I've bought some Stella-Zs, but might chop and change depending on how I get on.
I just liked the look & functionality of the Evohome TRV's over the Stella-Z's.

Page 1 of 1