Samsung Smart TV detection

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Samsung Smart TV detection

The network behavior of the TV is a bit strange. You can connect through wifi or Ethernet When Ethernet is available it uses it and when not it switches to wifi. So far so good but then it changes its ip number and mac number sometimes on the fly. And when it's off it has no network connection active ie you can long it and it does not send anything either.

With fingscan you can see if it's on and which network/mac it is using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline

And when it's off it has no network connection active ie you can long it and it does not send anything either.

With fingscan you can see if it's on and which network/mac it is using.

That is pretty common with A/V devices that do a full-off (don't go into a stand by mode keeping the connection active); they keep the NIC extremely low powered only to be able to provide a Wake-On-LAN feature. Not sure if the particular TV in question is doing that, but it is a pretty common situation.

Adam

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 8:26 pm
Marty offline

For some reason my reply went missing....

I have this working now using Fingscan to detect the fixed IP of the TV (which suggests it is on). When it is turned off, it DHCPs itself another IP (which is odd) - guessing its to keep the NIC awake.

Anyways, I set two actions to be sure (one for when the TVs IP changes to/from its fixed IP, the other for the TVs status of up or anything other than up) which seems to give me good detection on whether the TV is on or not.

Thanks folks :)

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 1:42 pm
howartp offline

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 5:09 pm
kwijibo007 offline

viewtopic.php?t=14141

I Guys,

I started work on a Samsung TV plugin about a month ago and was oblivious that this thread had been posted while I was working on it. The Plugin is complete and works flawlessly for my TV (Samsung UA50F6400 Series 6). As this is my only Samsung TV I've not been able to test it on any others so would appreciate your feedback, if you wouldn't mind testing?

I had no issues using the Samsung app from my iPhone/iPad (it's not a very useful app but it worked nonetheless). The app uses some network magic to auto discover the TV which might be where some devices have issues finding the TV. The plugin I wrote uses the IP address of the TV to connect so may be more reliable.

Check it out here - http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=14141

Pete